Showing chickens??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LindseyM12, May 13, 2010.

1. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    This is going to be the most stupid question in the world for some of you. [​IMG]
    I have absolutly no idea how to show chickens and I would like to know how. If you can tell me how to get the bird ready, what the judges are looking for, bla bla bla. That would be a great help! lol [​IMG]
    Thanks for everything!!

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Your first step would be to get yourself a standard of perfection. With that, you can know they standards for every breed and what the judges will be looking for. For a show, your birds will have to be clean, in condition, parasite free, and handleable. Do you already have birds you plan on showing?

3. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    No but I am getting some pretty soon! [​IMG]

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    If you plan on showing, you should get birds from a breeder that breeds to the standard, rather than getting them from a hatchery.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You might want to attend a show and look at the various breeds, talk to the different exhibitors and judges, and then decide what breeds and varieties appeal to you. There are sale birds available at most shows, and often an auction or raffle for quality birds as well.

6. Bo Garrett

Bo Garrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Get your birds from a reputable breeder and get a Bantam Standar and an APA Standard of Perfection depending on whether you are working with bantams or large fowl. Showing a bird begins months before the show; feeding, water, housing, parasite managment and training all must be meticulously taken care of if the bird is to compete at the sanctioned ABA/APA show level. Once you get your start of "quality" birds place them in housing with good ventilation and bedding, all the while providing clean fresh water and feed daily. Some birds such as cochins perform better in confinement while birds such as leghorns and sumatras prefer large areas outdoors to range. Each bird is suited to different environments and this will require some research as to how to properly house your birds.
    Keep them pest free by worming and applying lice and mite control spray or dust regularly. Feather mites are a poultryman's worst enemy, there is nothing like having an excellent bird only to find a weeks before the show that a feather mite has damaged a growing feather. Feathers take several weeks to grow and finish and if damaged this only extends the time to refeather.
    Once your bird has reached the point that feathers are nearing finishing it is time to consider washing. White birds and light colored birds may need more than black or darker colored birds. It is always good to wash them all to remove any external bugs and remove dirt and grime that can dull the feathers. Always wash several days in advance of the show to allow the birds to re-oil their feathers. You can always touch the bird up the day before the show if needed.
    Birds that are handled a great deal by washing, drying and cooping will perform better when show time comes because they are used to the routine.
    When drying realize that some birds must be air dried and some must have a degree of blow drying (cochins, silkies and some other fluffy breeds). I would never recommend drying tight feathered breeds, this can cause other problems to numerous to discuss on this thread.
    If you have other questions please PM me anytime.

Hope this helps,

Bo Garrett
    The Garrett Nest Poultry
    Breeding Large Black, Blue, Buff, Brown, Brown Red and White Cochins as well as Black and Birchen Bantam Cochins; Black Cayuga Ducks; Dewlap Gray and Buff Toulouse Geese; Large Barred Plymouth Rocks and Great Pyrenees Dogs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by