Showing Chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TriangleMaster9, Sep 18, 2012.

1. TriangleMaster9

TriangleMaster9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    What do people mean when they say showing a chicken, like a pet show or what?... Whats required to show a chicken?

2. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    LOL Think of it just like a dog show except its chickens in cages. There is a standard for each breed people bring in the best examples of the breed to compete agianst each other for ribons and trophies. There is even a big show called nationals where winners travel from all over the country to compete against the best. Turns out there r ferret, mice and even rat shows that I just learned about here recently and some people even show fish. There r also pigeon and watefowl shows. Hope this helps. Show quality animals r the best represenitives of the breed and usally cost much more.

3. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    Ok thanks, do you think my girl buttercup is good enough? Ive been told many times before that see is a very good looking chicken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    she is very cute bird but not realy show quailty

5. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Is this a Cochin?

7. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    no that an orpington

8. JHorn91180

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    I agree and the example of the bird pictured is more what u would see at the shows. Yours looks like hatchery stock and the example looks like a UK import. I have UK import Orpingtons along with project Lavenders. Your bird is pretty and may place in smaller shows like at the local fair where there is not much competition but she would never make it to nationals. Here r a couple pics of some of my Orp hens. The blue one is lacking lacing for showing but both these birds r better example for conformation and body type of the stock u need to look for to show. Also these birds r only 6 months old and have alot more filling out to do b4 they would even have a chance to compete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. TriangleMaster9

Jul 20, 2012
    Western Washington
    Ok thanks all of you, I get your point but you must realize shes only 5-6 months old.

10. JHorn91180

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    The birds I pictured are also that age but they will still change and fill out alot by the time they r a year old and roos can take up to 18 months. If u r interested in showing there r many nice people on here that sell show quality eggs and birds to get u started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by