Showing Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 5SweetChicks, Dec 31, 2012.

1. 5SweetChicks

5SweetChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    So I've always wanted to show cattle, but I haven't had time to buy all the equipment. So I started thinking about showing chickens. I have no clue on what I need to do for that. So my questions are: How do you show chickens? What do you need to show chickens? Do they need any papers? Stuff like that..

2. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Well are you wanting to show them for 4-H or FFA or at APA shows

3. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    for 4-H

4. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    O okay cool I'm also in 4-H. When you show chickens for 4-H you have to take your bird out of the cage then you tell the judge about your bird. This is the showmanship portion. You will not need show quality birds (but you are allowed if you want show quality birds) for 4-H hatchery stock is what most 4-Hers show. The second portion of showing birds for 4-H is the conformation portion. This is when the bird is examined by the judge in the cage then the judge will handle the bird. He is looking at the quality of the bird and how the bird conforms to the breed standared he also wants to see if the bird is calm and used to being handled. To show chickens you need no more than a regular chickens need although before the show you bird will need to be washed. When showing birds for 4-H you do not need any papers but check with your 4-H leader as it varys state to state. If you have any questions which you probably do because I left some stuff out feel free to ask. I will also try to PM you a great link about showing chickens in 4-H

5. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

You might need your bird to get vaccinated against pullorum, in which case you will need a paper proving they are free of disease. Good luck!

6. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by