1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

showing chickens

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by farmer10, Mar 4, 2015.

1. farmer10

farmer10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2015
    I want to show chickens at the county fair. I just joined 4-H and I want to know what kinda of chicken breeds your can show. I'm not asking what the best breed is. I'm asking if you can shownamy breed and if not what breeds

2. blackred

blackred Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    Showing at a County Fair is basically a no- rules beauty contest. Much like a Backyard show at a sanctioned show.
    So anything goes, just make sure that your bird is clean and in good condition. Other than that the only rule is to have fun.

3. farmer10

farmer10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2015
    So I can show basically any breed?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Each fair is different. Some fairs are sanctioned APA or ABA affairs. Others focus mostly on the 4H young person's husbandry skills, handling skills and poultry knowledge.
    Ask you 4H leader what to expect and what rules apply. There are often some things that must be done along the way to the fair, so be sure to discuss these things at your next 4H meeting.

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    look at your Fair book, see what classes they have, also if your really wanting to show chickens make sure you have a breed and not something that is a hi breed layer, also if you really like to show poultry i would got to the nearest apa\aba show and get your self a pair nice show birds

6. NikkiBoyce 2012

NikkiBoyce 2012 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Our 4-H fair doesn't allow "production breeds" (White leghorns, Rhode Island Reds)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by