Showing Chickens

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Vinniethefish, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Vinniethefish

Vinniethefish Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    I had a question about Poultry showing. I am well versed in the dog showing world but no absolutely nothing about poultry showing.

Showing dogs I do more for fun and breeding I do once every few years. My goal is to contribute to the gene pool over time. I can easily buy a quality dog and show and use he or she in years to come.

My situation, I can have hens but no roosters in city limits.

So my question for poultry exhibitors is, does it make any sense to show poultry just for fun? Especially when you can't contribute to the gene pool by breeding quality chickens. My only ability would be to buy from a breeder or someone from poultry show.

I like the idea of just having nice chickens and nice stock in general, but if I can't breed due to restrictions from having a rooster, does it make any sense to show at all?

The idea of raising nice pullets to me is fun and trading with breeders your nice pullets for other stock interest me, but is this something breeders do?

In due time I will buy some land and start a small farm (Where roosters are allowed), so having nice poultry stock isn't out of the picture, but this is about a 3-5 year plan down the road.

2. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA
    Of course it makes sense to do something just for fun!! If you enjoy it, you should do it.

But you would probably get more than just fun out of showing. If you show and raise dogs then you understand how important good quality stock is compared to poor quality stock. If your 5-year plan is to buy land and raise some chickens, you've got 5 years to figure out what breed interests you the most, and who the breeders are that can supply you with good quality birds. You've got time to network, develop friendships within the hobby, collect the hens you like to see how productive their lines are before committing to a breeding program, etc. So absolutely, there are lots of advantages to showing in your situation, or just going to shows without entering if you prefer, just to lay the groundwork for your long term goals.

Have fun!! Good to see other people from Western Washington on BYC.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    2 people like this.
  3. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    I woukd reach our to local breeders and hobbiests I'm sure somebody would love to contract with you to take all boys and in turn trade you an occasional pullet to add to your flock. If you're buying great quality stock any accidental boys will be valuable and should give you options other than just giving them away. Maybe you could even send hens to get bred and come back to collect eggs and hatch babies. I'm sure you can find a partner who can take roosters and benefit from your investments as well as help you benefit from their ability to keep boys. Good luck in your venture! Even if you give away and cull boys you will have lots of fun and enjoy showing!

1 person likes this.
  4. Vinniethefish

Mar 26, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    thanks for the words of encouragement. So far I have about 7 different breeds and seeing which one I like the most and there are definitely 1 or 2 I just don't care for at all. With dogs i'm fortunate that space only allows me to have so many...with chickens I can easily pick up 4 or 5 chicks and kind of hoard..which it's definitely something I don't want to do. I will work on the ground work and hopefully I can meet some folks at the shows.

5. Vinniethefish

Mar 26, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    That would definitely be a great situation. I guess it will just take me going to some shows and getting a network going. Hope everyone at the shows are just as friendly as the people on here!...cause dog show people can be kind of snarky...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  6. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA

7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Vinnie,
    Not a problem. Pick a breed you love. Find a top breeder in that breed. Make arrangements to get pullets from him/her and raising pullets from their strain. Just like in dogs, breeders love to have a satellite station where they can vouchsafe their strain so if something happens to the fountain head , the integrity of the strain is not lost. Then in several years, when you get that small farm, you can get top quality cocks from that breeder and line-breed that strain.
    Each season, get a trio or more of that breeder's generation for that year. In 4 or 3 four years, you will have a real nice section of that breeding program in your flock. Then you get your cock(s) and enjoy breeding your flock. It's best to breed from hens anyway, so no rush there.
    Poultry people are so nice and sharing. Absolutely show your girls. It's the best way to make sure you are keeping only the best while awaiting your cocks. Everyone at the shows will understand that. The best thing about poultry shows is that they don't let anyone but the judges and clerks in while the judging is going on. Everyone else hangs out and chats poultry till time to come back in and see who won. A wonderful time to run your plans past the old timers and experts.
    Best Success,
    Karen Tewart
    Bellwether Collies , Retired ( 1994-2009) Breeder of fine show and working rough and smooth collies.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by