showing french lops?

Autumn T

Songster
11 Years
Dec 23, 2008
Central Texas
my breeder says the show season is coming up fast (Sept for my area) and I should get the buns ready

What do my girls (ages 10 and 8) need to know about showing these big piles of fluff?

tips and tricks for getting them show ready?

how do we find a 4H chapter to join?
we were in a 4H but they were not active in animals just sewing and cooking...they were the only one I know of in our county

do I bathe the fluffies for show?

all that good info please!
TIA!!

oh yeah...and showing my doe...
she is 'ready for loving' and won't box up if she is being touched...she goes flat out and tail up. she is way too young to breed at 4 mo old and we have no plans to breed her til Feb if ever

can she still be shown like this?

Go to American Rabbit Breeders Association. Join the club. All kinds of info and a publication. I used to show Netherland Dwarfs. Fun Fun! Also there will be listing of shows you can attend other then just 4h. Its been a long time since I did the rabbit thing but, the ARBA does still exist..
old.gif
Its been a life time thing like American Poultry Association.
old.gif

I raise French Lops.
Do not Bathe them at all , it takes too long for the fur to dry out for one, for 2 it can lead to fur rot making them totally unshowable. Hair dryer set on low will dry the under fur but can lead to other complications.
Instead brush brush brush.
as for getting them into show condition use Docs Rabbit Enhancer. 1 tsp every other day, not everyday as it says. makes them too fat.
remember Jr French need to be a min of 4 1/2 lbs to show, after that is 6/8 and weight of 8 lbs or more. Sr weight there is no limit to weight.

Handling them constantly and posing them up in the proper pose will get her to stop the flatting out, and a good Judge will pose her up even if she doesnt want to.
Working with them constantly shows them what you want them to do and they will slip into show mode the minute you set them on a table.
Or in cases like my Chaz will make the judges job just a bit harder because he refuses to cooperate lol. Chaz is a brat plain and simple, He Granded out and no longer goes to the shows.

where do I get Doc's?

Pookie was 3lb at 8wks. he is massive now! and slightly mean as he is getting hormonal

Roxie is almost his size but on the slender side.

well, seems I need to learn how to pose them!

Pookie will do it...the breeder bunched him up to check him when we took him with us to pick up the doe. she really liked how he had grown in those 8 wks we had him at the time

she can't be shown til I get her tat redone. the breeder will do it when we see her at a shown up here. not driving 4 hrs to get it done!

Back
Top Bottom