Showing fresh non show chickens

BirdHead

Songster
Nov 3, 2015
Southern Oklahoma
So I know show chickens are breed to perfection (even through years) but I'm going to get some jap buff bantams for my girlfriend as pets as well as breed them, fix them possibly show them if i feel she did a good job raising them. Point being, is it not possible to make happen?

Last edited:
I was getting a clutch or so for free to incubate myself, sex and give a pair to her and split the remaining hatchlings with the giver. Then note which of the three gets the better roo and best pullet. Basically starting from the bottom and fleshing a new strain for my girlfriend. I don't show, only game but it gives her a hobby. My main concern is defects that possibly could occur because the owner of the Father/Mother pair are unknowingly related or not so it's a guessing game from there

I understand and have use line breeding/inbreeding/outcrossing and so forth with game before, I just wish the giver knew if the pair are different blood or brother/sister. It's nothing big I can get around whatever mishap happens in a year or so no problem just curious I've never bred from useless unknown birds before lol seeing if it was possible

Last edited:
I understand and have use line breeding/inbreeding/outcrossing and so forth with game before, I just wish the giver knew if the pair are different blood or brother/sister. It's nothing big I can get around whatever mishap happens in a year or so no problem just curious I've never bred from useless unknown birds before lol seeing if it was possible
Yeah, that is a problem. Do they even know the strain they came from? That would help if you could find a cock from the same or related stain. Failing that. maybe pick up a cock from the highest quality flock available and trust to luck on the breeding, then breed back to the strain which gives you the most positives?
Hum,
Karen

Last edited:
See karen, it's not my project I don't put too much into as stated its for my girlfriend, her cousin has Japenese Buff Bannies he wants to breed and I was gonna teach my girlfriend how to raise them up to show with no strain recorded and see how it goes! I'm focused on different breeding of fowl and I told her condition the cock as it were game. Don't know much on show chickens but I know the more aggression, a better chance at winning something am i wrong? And feathering of course! Taught her how to clean em up for one before she even got the chicks!

They aren't judged on aggression, they are only judged on how close they come to meeting their standards as written in the SOP. Something of great importance with Japs is that they carry a fatal gene which is responsible for their short legs. So, 25% of the chicks will die in the shell, 25% will have long legs and 50% will have the correct legs. As you can see it takes a lot of fertile eggs to get a workable number of birds to choose from for further breeding and exhibition.

Back
Top Bottom