Showing Horses

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Ahava, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Ahava

Ahava Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2011
    NC
    Granted, having horses is more like a lifestyle than a hobby, but how many of you enjoy showing your horses, whether it's taking part in dressage, cutting, racing, endurance, some kind of eventing, or just ~showing~ your horse at a specific type of horse show (e.g., Arabian)?

We have an Arabian mare (my av at the moment) and having my daughter compete in eventing shows is just plain fun. We love working with the horse to get her to listen to voice commands, getting her to respond to barely-noticeable pressure cues, etc. It's the lead-up TO the show that's so fun for us, although my daughter also enjoys having ribbons to display.

What kind of shows do you like to participate in, and what is your favorite part of it?

1 person likes this.
  2. Dunappy

Dunappy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    One of my horses is currently tied for 6th place in our state in ACTHA competitive trial events out of around 160 horses. So she's doing really good. My other mare is in the top 30, but Hubby rides her and he's only been able to go to 5 events this year.

I like the ACTHA events because it's a fun trail ride with judged obstacles inserted into it. The ACTHA obstacles challenge your horses training and your training on how to cue your horse to perform the obstacles. I like that kind of challenge.

1 person likes this.
  3. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

This'll be my first year showing my Quarter Horse gelding. I'm so stoked! We'll be doing western events, seeing as how that's the only kind of tack I have at the moment. [​IMG] Still, I'm excited!

2 people like this.
  4. Ahava

Ahava Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2011
    NC
    Nice! That sounds like a LOT of fun! I don't know of anything like that for Arabians but you betcha I'm going to be looking into it! My daughter's riding instructor has shows at her farm that are kind of like that, although it's in the ring and not on the trail.

5. Ahava

Ahava Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2011
    NC
    I would love for my daughter to ride Western but she has no interest at the moment (I prefer it). I think the more confidence she gets in riding English, which is what she learned with, may open her mind to trying other things. She's still a little intimidated by her horse (and horses in general). Arabians are kind of hot, and even though her mare is 17, she's still pretty "gitchy" - hardheaded, nippy, and loves to test her boundaries. She'll learn, and then when she gets another horse or several she'll be able to handle them easily.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I rode endurance/competitive trail and loved it. I love the relationship I developed from long hours in the saddle. I loved 'listening' to my horse. Didn't really care about winning, just wanted to hang around folks who enjoyed what I enjoyed. I loved the way my horse boldly went where I told her because she trusted me. And at times I had to trust her. Once she refused to cross a bridge. I didn't force her as we had crossed this bridge many, many times. Another rider came galloping past, and the bridge gave away. Wasn't a pretty sight.

7. Dunappy

Dunappy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    ACTHA is an all breed association. You can ride an Arab, an Appaloosa, A mule, A donkey, or any other breed or type of horse. Just look up the association at http://www.actha.us

8. primalchick

primalchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    I do endurance and competitive trail rides with my 2 Arabian geldings :) LOVE it! Distance riding is very addicting. Like theoldchick said, the bond and relationship you develop with your horse is amazing. I cried (happy, proud, emotional LOL) when I completed my first 50 miler with my gelding, Player. Love the sport!

Competitive trail rides up here are different than the ACTHA ones, though those ones sound like a lot of fun too! The competitive trail rides up here and run through an association called TRAC. They are basically the same as an endurance ride, except instead of a race they just judge the vet cards. Basically a big "best condition" competitive.

9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I do endurance and competitive trail here in Michigan. We go by UMECRA rules (Upper Midwest Endurance and Competitive Rides Assoc.) and the comp rides are called "Michigan Comp" by the Ohio riders. We are known for having very fast-paced comp rides, usually 7-8 mph average as opposed to the Ohio 5mph average. Plus we have "small windows" only 5 minutes either side of our target time while Ohio rules have a 30 minute window. We also have very low p/r parameters. Ohio, AHA and NATRC deduct points if the horse's pulse is 11 or 12 beats per 15 second period. We deduct at 10.

Daughter and stepdaughter are now involved with 4-H so we'll be doing some 4-H shows in addition to the distance riding

10. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

i am gonna do fun shows, 4-h shows and our local horse club shows (which also host the fun shows :D ) i am right now just doing western, but i am also gonna work on english to :D i plain to show in:

Halter, minis

Walk Trot,

Maybe some speed events

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by