Showing: I need help bathing my splash silkie please, PICS!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilkieCRZYness, Oct 31, 2009.

1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Songster

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I gave her a pre-bath, about two weeks prior and I'm going to give her one 3 days before the show on the 14th. She looks good but has some stains I can't get out and I'm nervous to use any bluing on her. This is where some silkie expertese comes in. He is a blue splash, pretty light color and on her crest and beard she has an orange tint to it from I think the clay. Also hebrown feathers where she poops is yellowish kind of. Can I use bluing on her or something. I used shampoo, white vinegar in the clean water and condtioner. I also tried some oxy spray on the stains but thy didn't come out completely. AND I have her on pellets now and her feet feathers or already getting gooked with poop. Is shaving best right before a show for this. I'm cleaning her show prep cage she's in righ. Several times a day but I've never had her on shavings and last bird I put on shaving she sneezed from the dust and was sneezing at the show so I'm nervous...HELP!!!! hahahahah thanks everyone!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Dawn dish detergent and whitening shampoo works well. It may take some scrubbing and multiple washes to get all of the stains out, unfortunately.

3. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Songster

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    Hmmm I thought dawn dish soap was bad for silkies as it washes out there natural oils???? I have whitening shampoo, do I soley use that or add it to my other type of shampoo? Thanks

4. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    How abot hydrogen peroxide and sunlight thats a nautral whitener... [​IMG]

5. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Quote:on chickens sunlight stains the feathers a yellowish tent and perioxide sriped to oil really bad almost to where you can repair them!

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:That's why I use it a week ahead of time. I gives them time to preen and get nice and fluffy before the show.

FYI: Any detergent or shampoo cleans away oils.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have tried and rejected dish and laundry detergent. Never again (unless they get into a grease or oil slick). Getting stains out is HARD. You might try Spray & Wash Max (the red bottle) it may help. You'll need to leave it in for awhile, then wash. Or you might try Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover (same thing--spray, wait, rinse). I have accidentally dyed my birds blue/purple with bluing and whitening shampoos and will no longer use them.

Several washes and soaks with vinegar works well most of the time. With stains you may have to wash several times, or even pluck the feathers in time for them to regrow. If it's just a couple of feathers, I would pluck even if there isn't regrowth time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by