Showing Mille Fleur D'Uccles

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by chicken4prez, Oct 22, 2017.

1. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a few birds that I'm thinking about showing for the first time in June. How do you prepare D'Uccles for that?

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I looked into it once for OEGBs (I was curious)
    With OEGBs, the roosters show pretty naturally, and I'm going to guess this is the case for most bantams. The provisio was that you want the judge to be able to reach him without chasing him around the pen for five minutes, so you have to spend some time getting him used to being caught and handled.

The hens are more timid, and some things were said about training them to tense and strut when someone reached in--poking them with a pencil (eraser end) was the recommended method.

That is, of course, for OEGBs.

Thankfully, you do not have to dub your birds for show. I would have to dub mine.

chicken4prez likes this.
  3. mgbantams

mgbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2017
    You would have to give them baths to clean any poop or dirt off of their feet. You may also want to move them into individual cages a few weeks before the show, so that they get used to living in small spaces and won't get stressed at the show. Also, make sure they don't have lice or mites. That's just some general advice for preparing birds for show. That's what I do with my bantams.

chicken4prez likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by