showing mixed breeds.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pugiosam, Dec 13, 2013.

1. pugiosam

pugiosam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    painter Virginia
    I have seen that showing chickens is popular but usually its only for pure breeds. Is it possible to show mixed breeds?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

4H members can use mixed breed chickens in Showmanship classes.

3. pugiosam

Dec 3, 2013
    painter Virginia
    How would I join 4h?

4. pugiosam

Dec 3, 2013
    painter Virginia
    I'm to old for that.

5. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    No, cannot be done. If there is nothing to judge them against how would it even work. No species allows mixed breeds to be shown.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Horse shows are full of mixed breed horses.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

I have done it and will continue to do so. I have pure American Dominiques and a line in development that is a composite of American Dominique and American Game. The latter which are relevant to question are F3's (third generation) descendents of the original crosses. I am selecting them to look mostly like extant (currently existing) American Dominique except they are to have longer feathers coming the American Game side. At this point most are disqualified but some females are not. They are entered as American Dominique but I state their background. It will take a while eventually they will meet the standard for American Dominique and have feathers more consistent with the breed around beginning of previous century.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You can show them, but they will be disqualified.

They won't tell you that you can't enter.. at least not here.. they will take your money for the entry and disqualify the bird after the fact.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not conformation classes, which is what bird shows are. Birds aren't shown in performance classes, like horses.
    Just like mixed breed dogs can be shown in obedience, but not conformation.

The whole point of showing a bird is to see who has the bird closest to the breed standard, the standard of perfection. This is impossible with mixed breed birds.
    Same with any animal, the whole point is to see who had the animal closest to the ideal for that breed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  10. pugiosam

Dec 3, 2013
    painter Virginia
    What about the introduction of a new breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by