Showing my silkie this weekend!! QUESTIONS

NCchickenlady

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
raleigh
Ok here it goes,

1. We live in NC and have CLAY! it stains the girls feet so I can't get it all to come out after a bath, do I need to worry about that?

2. She does not mind the cage so we are good that way BUT i was told to get her use to a stick and to pay attention to it but she could care less! Even with a mealworm on it!! any ideas? She just lays there as content as can be!

2. Do you feed them the day of the show?

3. Anything else you can suggest or can help with, I'm all ears!

3. Anything else I need to do?

It wasn't to long ago that PouletsDeCajun posted a Silkie bathing tutorial. Here's a link to his web page to show how to do it. http://www.geocities.com/pouletsdecajun/bathingpg1.html It is very interesting and gives good tips for bathing before showing.

Good luck with showing your Silkie!
smile.png

p.s. Be sure to look at all three pages of the bathing tutorial.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, I love that and thank you for reminding me about the site! I forgot about the spray stain remover, I'll gave that a shot!
Now, how animated does a silkie have to be? She just lays there like a Princess which by the way is her name! VERY FITTING!!
lau.gif

How funny! Our one and only Silkie girl is named Princess too! Compliments of my 4 year old, to whom she belongs.
smile.png

1. We live in NC and have CLAY! it stains the girls feet so I can't get it all to come out after a bath, do I need to worry about that?

Depends on how dirty it is...although the cleaner the better.

2. She does not mind the cage so we are good that way BUT i was told to get her use to a stick and to pay attention to it but she could care less! Even with a mealworm on it!! any ideas? She just lays there as content as can be!

You don't have to worry about cage training silkies.

2. Do you feed them the day of the show?

It's best if you don't feed them until judging is done so the judge won't have to be distracted by the lump in the crop caused by the feed. Also, you'll probably want to hold off on the water until after judging as well, as silkies have a tendency of soaking their crests.

3. Anything else I need to do?

You can brush out the crest and tail with a wire brush to give the bird a fuller look.​

Last edited:
Oh Thank you!!
So Silkies don't do the whole following of the stick thing?
She is such a nice hen I would hate that I did not show her at her best. Thanks for the wire brush idea I have plenty of those ( I show Golden Retvrs as well)

Thanks for sending the info....

Back
Top Bottom