1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Showing Off My Friend's Guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by BreezeCrestChickens, Nov 16, 2011.

1. BreezeCrestChickens

BreezeCrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I recently visited my friend back home and got some lovely pictures of her boys. These were the only 2 that survived out of the 5 this summer. One was killed by 2 foxes. Her only female was stolen by the neighbous. Her whole flock (guineas and chickens) was taken down by a mink. 2 escaped the first attack and they kept them in the barn but the mink got in there too, one hen ended up breaking a window fighting for her life and the other one was cornered in the hay. The guinea that came down to see what was going on in the coop was taken out the first attack in the coop. They roost in a pine tree next to the coop...poor guinea didn't know what he was getting into going to investigate [​IMG] ...ANYWAYS! Here's the boys that are left!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Handsome [​IMG] Thanks for sharing.

What a shame she lost all but 2 of her flock, unfortunately predators are relentless. Hopefully she has a fort knox coop/pen in the works and can get more birds soon. 1/2 inch hardware cloth is pretty effective at keeping out mink,(they can squeeze thru 1 inch wire). And strands of electric fencing strategically placed on and around the coop is very effective against lots of other predators.

Those boys may not last too long roosting in the trees [​IMG] I've had owls pluck birds right out of trees and I've also had ground predators stalk, sit and wait until my birds jump down each morning and then pounce/nab them as soon as they hit the ground [​IMG]

3. BreezeCrestChickens

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Eek! Not too many owls in that area, mostly fox and well fox! Coyotes too but they don't dare come on the property!!! Her's isn't really locked down well but the openings are sealed TIGHT...he ended up getting in through the window on the other side...it broke somehow [​IMG] But that little guy wasn't supposed to be where he was hehehe! Sent the police up the road and found out it was an illegal mink farm so they were told to register it and fix it up to code or they'd be shut down, they were shut down [​IMG] As for the mink...her friend made sure he didn't have a face anymore! LOLOLOLOL! She had those guys in there for gee....7 or 8 years. Not the guineas, the chickens. She's had the guineas...2-3 years now I think? Lost a few to the foxes but they were around because of the stupid neighbours...and I made sure they weren't feeding the foxes ANYMORE [​IMG] She said "Guess it was God's will to tell me I needed a new flock of hens. Too many old, too many roos." She hatched out 20+ chicks and at least 15 were roosters LOL! I've got one here now. But she was pretty happy when I gave her her replacement rooster! A BIG astralorp cross...and I really mean BIG BIG BIG. I'm 5'2" and he was at least up to my knees!!!! With the most beautiful crow! Hahaha! She's glad she didn't get the one she gave me, his crow is YAHOO! YAHOO! This winter she'll get a few more guineas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    They are gorgeous. I am so sorry for her loss on the others. I love my guinea's even though some days they aggravate me to death. I hope she locks them up and can get some new ones.

5. ODEY587

ODEY587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2011
    they are awesome i just dont think i could stand the noise lol

6. Fenika

Fenika Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Those guineas have such lovely, refined heads. And the second shot actually has a soft eye. Most guinea pics look angry just from the facial features [​IMG]

7. BreezeCrestChickens

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    My 2 babies come from the same flock back the road from her. So her 2 and my 2 are related in some way or another! LOL! Its a very relaxed friendly home so they have no reason to be angry [​IMG] And the amount of treats they get.......LOL! Mine just got some outdated popped popcorn today hahahaha!!! Hers are so friendly and nice though, they let you get close enough to take these pictures. The noise is...well...lovely sometimes LOL! The horses are just starting to FINALLY get used to the noise. Mine started squawking a few days ago and I think the horses are just getting used to it!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by