Showing off my new duck house

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Sep 19, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    So, my hubby made half of this shed/playhouse a house for our ducks at night....eventually he will build a deck for the playhouse on top, and then he will fully fence underneath the deck so that the ducks will be fully enclosed. We don't have predators out here, but he is still going to do this so they can be completely safe at night and then I can leave the door to the duck house open so they can come out or go in at night without me worrying:

[​IMG]

This is a pic from the inside:

[​IMG]

He buried mesh and then boarded up the entire outside (my eggs kept getting eaten in the spring):

[​IMG]

Built a duck door and enclosed it on three sides so no wind and rain can get inside:

[​IMG]

Duck door from inside, the white stuff on the walls is called Fiberglass Reinforced Panels that is used in commerical kitchens, completely waterproof:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am sooo excited....my Ancona babies are spending their very first night NOT in my bathroom! Yee-HAW that makes me SO excited.

Just wanted to share.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Wow looks great you have some very lucky duckies

3. ElaineS585

ElaineS585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2010
    WOW! What a great setup!! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Hope you all enjoy the new bldg. (Your hubby is an awesome builder! He's a keeper!) [​IMG]

4. duckielub

duckielub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Kentwood
    Wow..... I am SOOO jealous. Well, this is definitely one post I will not be able to share with my Khakis. There would be mutiny!

5. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Thank you! It IS really nice, and my hubby ROCKS! When I asked him last year if he would mind if I got a COUPLE of ducks, he said, "Yeah, I don't care, but just dont' expect me to do anything for them....your ducks, your problem!" (He said this jokingly, but serious, know what I mean?) Well.....he has since dug this out BY HAND, with a shovel and wheelbarrow:

[​IMG]

Plus, he has made this coop for them. He built the shed and playhouse a few years ago, the shed isn't done, so he decided to make half of it for my ducks.

I am way impressed and way excited for it. My ducks survived the night in it, so all is well!!

Again, thanks!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:That is awesome, and your ducks look so happy to be outside in the beautiful sunshine. and that pond... I could go on and on. love it. tell hubby he's the man!

7. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I love it! [​IMG]

Those Ancona babies have gotten BIG!

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That's gorgeous. I hope you understand what a treasure your husband is.

9. Chickie_Banana

Chickie_Banana Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    Very nice! You have such a nice hubby!

10. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    Can I move in? That's some house they have!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by