Showing off my pet meatie... :)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by redonthehead, Nov 30, 2010.

1. redonthehead

redonthehead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    In the flock of meat chickens we got this past spring was a hen that grew out pretty orange feathers... well, the kids kind of took to her, and started calling her Orangie. When slaughter time came we just din't have the heart to knock her off, so she's now our pet. Just wanted to share a picture of her since I've never seen a meat chicken that looks like this. She lives with our egg layers and is now laying some eggs herself. My only concern with her is that she's now HUGE and I don't have any way to restrict what she eats... she's holding her own though, and her legs aren't giving out. She's been through a lot - including unfortunately watching the death of her "mate" meat rooster Foghorn to a racoon family. She's a tough old girl, and alot larger than she is in this picture, but here she is enjoying some grass this summer...

[​IMG]

2. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    that is a pretty bird!

3. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    She's pretty in the picture , and an unusual color . Is she an Ambro ?

4. redonthehead

Nov 5, 2010
    @SteveH - I have no idea what she is. We ordered 60 meat chicks this past spring from a local farm store, and when they grew in their feathers she got these while the rest of them were plain old white. LOL! As much as I hated the thought I knew she was going to grow on all of us. She'll end up being with us until she dies of natural causes. [​IMG]

5. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    interesting!! very pretty

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    She looks like about what I got from crossing Cornish X hens with RIR and BO roosters.

7. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    What a pretty girl! I hope her legs never give out and she lives a long happy chicken life!

8. redonthehead

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks everyone!

KCchickens - I hope so too! She's enjoying life. After the racoon attack that took the rooster we kept with her she was quite traumatized and wouldn't let anyone near her... she's finally relaxed now and will almost "talk" to us when we go to collect eggs. It's cute. She's quite the girl... several times we've caught her limping and more than once we figured we'd have to put her down, but within days she'll be right back to normal... she's definitely a tough girl. [​IMG]

RAREROO - we have a BO rooster and I was wondering what we would get if we crossed him with her. Don't know if we will or not, but we've tossed around the idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by