1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Showing off My Very 1st Hatch of Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sheilawagner, Dec 19, 2010.

1. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Here are some pics of the 8 chicks we hatched on Thursday. They are now 2-3 days old and in that super cute stage, before they turn all weird and funky feathered.

We have 4 silkie chicks and 3 Large Fowl Cochin, and 1 EE.

[​IMG]
    Baby chicks in their brooder.

I have noticed that our chicks which we hatched ourselves are a lot calmer, quieter and friendly as compared to hatchery day old chicks which we ordered several times before. This makes me want to hatch my own eggs from now on.

[​IMG]
    Black Cochin large fowl

[​IMG]
    Cochins (LF)

[​IMG]
    Buff silkie with my Airedale Rummy

[​IMG]
    Silkie

[​IMG]
    Cochin, I suspect its a boy, because it is bolder, more inquisitive and has a slightly more pronounced comb. I like it so much though, I hope it becomes a good boy, cos otherwise, we'll have to eat it, or feed him to the doggies.

[​IMG]
    Chicken on a dog

[​IMG]
    Cochin

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Congrats! They are gorgeous!

Glad you trust your dog. He could gulp a chick down very easily.... wouldn't even have to chew.....

3. Pipster

Pipster New Egg

Dec 19, 2010
    Wow! Those chicks are so cute! And i don't know how to make my own post. Um, can you tell me how please?[​IMG]

4. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    very cute [​IMG] They are adorable - especially the picture with your dog. Mine can NOT be trusted with my adult chickens.. let alone a chick.

Mine are still hatching.. congrats on your cuties!!

Shelly

5. mountainwhisper

mountainwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Southwest Virginia
    OOOOHHH how precious! congrats on your chicks they are beautiful [​IMG]

6. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
  7. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    Those chicks are absolutely darling--I totally want to incubate my own but am worried to start down that road. I've already gotten myself hooked on building bigger coops and runs, making brooders, raising chicks, pampering my hens, growing sprouts for the hens.....if I add incubating eggs, my DH will keel over.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh how adorable!! [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The OP said "I have noticed that our chicks which we hatched ourselves are a lot calmer, quieter and friendly as compared to hatchery day old chicks which we ordered several times before. This makes me want to hatch my own eggs from now on."

Yup, me too. As well as never experiencing pasty butt with my own hatchlings, AND they are less noisy! I think the lack of bulk hatching, shipping, etc. makes for more contented chicks. Happy chirps, little conversations, no peep-peep-peep all the time, even with the correct environmental heating and everything.

Quote:"Down that road." Uh yup. I went there. No DH or anything to keel over, so I have been able to go hog wild with incubating and hatching. No DH to build coops, either, so it's all on my shoulders. [​IMG]

I started incubating because I fell in love with my first broody's hatch of a single chick, my first GrandChick. After the first hatchling made it out of an egg in an incubator, I was hooked. I also thought "I've had such bad luck with straight run bantams all turning into roosters, to heck with this, I'll hatch my own!" Sure, and hatching results are also straight run, y'know? Oh well. I'm apparently pretty good at hatching roos... so that's something you have to think about.

Other than that, nothing beats the sheer awesomeness - in the original sense of the root word, "awe" - of a life emerging from something you might just have made into breakfast on any other day. From an egg, a chick! Just amazing.

Isn't it wonderful?!?!?!

10. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    If they are mutts...I would enter the last one in the cutest mutt contest.... Those are very cute!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by