Showing Poultry Question: Please Help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by babychicks1203, Aug 4, 2010.

1. babychicks1203

babychicks1203 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    Oxford, Indiana
    I need some help here:D I am new to the showing scene and have a question about open shows.

How old do the chickens need to be at the time of the show? I would apprecite it if someone could help me out

Thank You So Much

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    depends on the breed I took a ameraucana pullet and won Reserve Grand Champion Pullet....generally I wait until 6 month MINIMUM

3. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    6 months is a good cutoff if you want to be competitive, but I don't think there's any rule about bringing them too young. Obviously they'd need feathers. 4 months is about the youngest you can go if you're going for fun - for example, a showmanship bird - or if you're otherwise just looking to participate.

4. sarabeth53

sarabeth53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Pasadena, CA
    I agree with the 6th month rule. at MINIMUM. they are easiest to judge at full maturity. so as long as they are full grown and full feathered.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    One of the problems people don't often associate with showing a bird that is immature is weight. Weight is a defining breed characteristic. A bird that is 20% or more under it's Standard weight is disqualified if the judge knows what s/he's doing.
    A bird that is ready to show must, of course, have it's adult plumage but it must also have acheived within 20% of it's Standard weight.

6. blackred

blackred Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    Quote:Just out of curiosity, have you ever disqualified a bird for 20% under or over its standard weight? I have never seen it done even thought it is a common problem in OE, Moderns and Cornish males( over).

Bob

7. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I had a showmanship question asking me about size and if the judge writes size on the cage what does that mean? Well obviously its too big or too small.....does this tie in with the weight thing or would they write something other than size?

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Size and weight are the same thing in US standards. Not sure if height is a consideration elsewhere or not.

edited to add: I've seen size marked on a coop card when a bird was entered as a bantam and was obviously largefowl and vice versa.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Just out of curiosity, have you ever disqualified a bird for 20% under or over its standard weight? I have never seen it done even thought it is a common problem in OE, Moderns and Cornish males( over).

Bob

Yes, I have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by