1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Showing question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by VettekLisa, Mar 1, 2009.

1. VettekLisa

VettekLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    Hale, Missouri
    Okay, this is probably a stupid question. What age do you
    usually start showing chickens?
    I've looked all over the internet and can't seem to find the
    answer to that question.

LOL, I need a Showing Chickens for Dummies book.

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Yes, avoid having the judge write in bold print "YOUNG" on your coop card. Generally, about 6 months is when chickens are mature. There are breeds that mature faster (like Moderns, 5 months) and breeds that mature slower (like OE males, 7 months). It depends on the breed, but as long as they're not peeping and their condition is good, they should be good to show.

3. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Yes, avoid having the judge write in bold print "YOUNG" on your coop card. Generally, about 6 months is when chickens are mature. There are breeds that mature faster (like Moderns, 5 months) and breeds that mature slower (like OE males, 7 months). It depends on the breed, but as long as they're not peeping and their condition is good, they should be good to show.

4. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California

5. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Woah, triple post, sorry!

6. VettekLisa

VettekLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    Hale, Missouri
    Thanks for the answer. I had assumed that was
    probably the age, but just wanted to be very sure.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Wacko board

8. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I actually entered a 5 month old birchen modern game pullet in a recent show. The judge in fact wrote YOUNG across my card. BUT......my bird then went on to take Reserve Champion Bantam!!! We got a trophy, a gift certificate, and lots of ribbons!!

9. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Haha, that's great! Judges try to predict what a pullet will look like as a hen... he must have had high hopes for her! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by