Showing question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tellynpeep, Mar 31, 2009.

1. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I know nothing about showing chickens; all my experience is with dogs.

Could a hen with some frostbite to her comb be shown, or would she be laughed out of the place? (With dogs, that would depend on breed.)

Thanks!

2. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    im not a showman either....but from what i have read....that is frowned upon

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    A bird with frostbite should not be shown. How severe is it?

4. tellynpeep

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    It's just the tips of her spikes. They haven't fallen off yet, but I'm not too hopeful.
    She's a Blue Andalusian, and for a warm-climate breed, I could NOT keep her inside this winter. She was always the first (and sometimes only) girl to go outside in the really cold weather. Spunky.

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I've shown a Modern Game hen that had two of her points completely ripped off by her aggressive friends. The show was big (700 bantams alone) and she ended up winning Best in Show. Missing or extra points are only 1/2 a point per comb point deducted from the bird's total score. And if she still has part of the points on her comb, then she would probably be ok.

6. tellynpeep

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Thanks for that info. I don't know if we will show her, but I'm learning all the time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by