Showing question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tnnsewalkin, Aug 21, 2011.

1. tnnsewalkin

tnnsewalkin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I am new to showing chickens, and could not find any good articles online on what I need to have and do to attend a chicken show, could anybody please help me out [​IMG]

2. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    I am bumping this for you [​IMG] I sorry I don't have the answers for you.What I am going to do is email the man sponsering the show here in Va.I think if you do the same for the show you are interested in We may get enough info to at least know somewhat what we are doing [​IMG]
    I also plan on attending a few shows to learn from them.I find that chicken people are willing to help beginers.Good luck [​IMG]
    Also call your local extension office

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:to attend you only need to show up,
    to enter your birds you will need your Flock Heath Certificate or NPIP certificate.
    Locate the shows you would like to attend, contact teh show management or sponsor club and request a show catalog.
    there are entry deadlines, so make sure you get your entries in on time.
    As time progresses, you will learn to plan your shows ahead of time, and time your hatches to support the shows you plan to attend.

This is the starter, getting birds show ready through conditioning, bathing, handling etc. will come at a later time. All of these items are based on teh breed and variety you plan to show.

4. LauraB

LauraB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Chicagoland
    I'm still learning a lot about chickens and showing too.

My daughter showed some chickens, a white silkie, a partridge cochin and a mille fleur d'uccle, at a 4-H county fair in July. She got 2 blue ribbons, a red and a grand champion.
    We got a lot of information from a book called; 'The 4-H Guide to Raising Chickens'. I'm sure that some of that information would apply for other types of shows too.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    to enter your birds you will need your Flock Heath Certificate or NPIP certificate.
    Locate the shows you would like to attend, contact teh show management or sponsor club and request a show catalog.
    As time progresses, you will learn to plan your shows ahead of time, and time your hatches to support the shows you plan to attend.

This is the starter, getting birds show ready through conditioning, bathing, handling etc. will come at a later time. All of these items are based on teh breed and variety you plan to show.

Most western states do not require health or inspection paperwork. Oregon is an exception to this. Most middle and eastern states do have health and inspection requirements, which vary from state to state.

Your best bet it to call or email the show secretary and ask what is needed to enter the show. Send in your entries and any required paperwork.

Then about a week beforehand, bathe your birds, trim nails and beak, and keep on clean shavings. Adding grain to the diet helps keep poop firm, but in hot weather watch that you do not give too many hot foods. If you have not already, band your birds' legs and get transportation cages ready.

I've seen everything from official poultry show boxes, dog crates, small animal cages, plastic bins to cardboad boxes used. Whatever works for you is the right choice. Make sure that whatever it is is large enough for your bird. It is best to house each bird separately. I have some small animal cages that I added interier dividers so that each bird has its own stall. I have others that are just the right size to cover 4 wine case boxes. I fill them with a few inches of shavings, put the boxes on the bottom of the cage add a bird to each box and cover with the cage top. Depending on how far you have to drive, you may want to include food and water. If just going a 20 min ute drive across town, probably no need for that, if you have a drive of anything more than an hour, you need to give them constant access to food and especially water.

Take grooming touchup tools (nail clippers, comb/brush, wash cloth, oil for comb and legs, etc.), flea/tick spray, disinfectant, a chair for yourself to the show. Have lots of fun!

6. riane'smimi

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Thanks ! I didn't know about the show catalog.I was contacting him though and asking him to send me infomation that I would need.This will be my first show and I am very excited about it even if I don't know alot about how it's ran.I am going to learn all I can.

7. riane'smimi

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va

Most western states do not require health or inspection paperwork. Oregon is an exception to this. Most middle and eastern states do have health and inspection requirements, which vary from state to state.

Your best bet it to call or email the show secretary and ask what is needed to enter the show. Send in your entries and any required paperwork.

Then about a week beforehand, bathe your birds, trim nails and beak, and keep on clean shavings. Adding grain to the diet helps keep poop firm, but in hot weather watch that you do not give too many hot foods. If you have not already, band your birds' legs and get transportation cages ready.

I've seen everything from official poultry show boxes, dog crates, small animal cages, plastic bins to cardboad boxes used. Whatever works for you is the right choice. Make sure that whatever it is is large enough for your bird. It is best to house each bird separately. I have some small animal cages that I added interier dividers so that each bird has its own stall. I have others that are just the right size to cover 4 wine case boxes. I fill them with a few inches of shavings, put the boxes on the bottom of the cage add a bird to each box and cover with the cage top. Depending on how far you have to drive, you may want to include food and water. If just going a 20 min ute drive across town, probably no need for that, if you have a drive of anything more than an hour, you need to give them constant access to food and especially water.

Take grooming touchup tools (nail clippers, comb/brush, wash cloth, oil for comb and legs, etc.), flea/tick spray, disinfectant, a chair for yourself to the show. Have lots of fun!

Wow great information ! I am raising silkies and I did not know I could brush them.Is there a book I can buy that will help me?Thanks a million [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    riane'smimi :

Quote:Most western states do not require health or inspection paperwork. Oregon is an exception to this. Most middle and eastern states do have health and inspection requirements, which vary from state to state.

Wow great information ! I am raising silkies and I did not know I could brush them.Is there a book I can buy that will help me?Thanks a million [​IMG]

A comb actually works better [​IMG] Most shine products used on other breeds do not work well on silkies. You can add glycerin to rinse water during hte bath, but whatever you do, do not wipe it directly on dry feathers (you can do this with hard feathered breeds)--it will mat silkied feathers down. I don't know of any books specifically on show prep, but there are a lot of breeders' websites that will tell you what is needed--just realize that what works for one person may not be the best method for another--experiment and find what works best for you.

9. riane'smimi

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    I am going to wash my roo tomorrow and try this out on him.He needs a bath anyway [​IMG].. I will also check on some websites.

10. riane'smimi

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Where would I get glycerin from ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by