Showing Questions From RANK Newbie! (Help!)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BoldogKennel, Feb 23, 2011.

1. BoldogKennel

BoldogKennel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Washington State
    OK guys, Im going to be brave and enter my first show!

I've shown dogs (mostly performance events) for 36 years, but this is scarey being a rank newbie again! : )

Couple questions I would love help with if any of you have the time...

Got my entry form today and it says birds must be banded. OK, i know this is stupid, but is there a specific type of band I should get so I don't show up and look greener than I am? What should be on it?

My breed is not really recognized yet. I want to show my pumpkin Hulsley ( just so everyone can admire him! LOL! [​IMG] ) so he isn';t the right color (leg wise) for an OLG LF so should I put him in 'any other standard breed" even though he isn't standard? Or just show him as a "bad"OEG? The reason I am entering him is just to get my feet wet at this showing thing and he's the only bird I have that's pretty darn tame (and beautifuL!)

OK, so, there you go. I know, I know... newbie-ness at its worst, but hey, you gotta start at some point! : )

2. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    In our state we have to have numbered sealed bands. Basically any band that would have to be cut off qualifies here. Don't know about your state. I just buy the adjustable metal ones as we have both LF and Bantams. I've seen all different kinds of bands used. I like the one piece rings with the hatch year on them, like the ABA bands. Have purchased birds with them on before, but I've never purchased/used them myself.

Is it just the color is off but the rest is to breed standard? If that's the case, the bird goes in the same class and the variety is AOV, All Other Varieties. Like if my son was showing lavender Ameraucanas, (recognized breed/non recognized color) they would be entered in AOSB as the class with the other Ameraucanas, but would be entered as AOV self blue for the variety instead of as black/blue/wheaton/etc.

Sorry I can't be more help.

3. BoldogKennel

Jan 29, 2010
    Washington State
    Hey, thank you VERY much. I'll check around and see what this state requires... i had no idea. And thanks for the tip on variety... I'll see if theylet me do that. This is my first entry form and its not super clear to a newbie. But i have folks on here from WA that will help me figure it out. Thanks again!

4. olds cool

olds cool Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    Leesburg Alabama
    Boldogkennel, I have tried to send you an email through this site. Please let me know if you get it. Thanks,Tim

5. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Here's a link to what breeds/varieties are currently recognized, well minus self-blue Silkies, but I think everything else is there. http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_Recognized_Breeds_6_2010.pdf Bantams first, LF starts about the middle.

You can check with the show, there will probably be some leeway on bands vs a specific brand. You should find out about any health testing and forms you will need and when/where available. Some shows offer testing on site. Not my preference, but easiest for some people. I band all the birds as I test and at least around here the testers usually do the bands if the bird doesn't already have one.

Show forms aren't too bad after you fill out a couple. Using say a LF Buff Brahma as an example

Breed-Brahma

Class-Asiatic

Age/Sex- Cock:Male over 1 yr old, Hen:Female over 1 yr old, Cockerel:Male under 1 yr, Pullet:Female under 1 yr

Variety(Color)-Buff

Band #- Whatever the legband # is.

Some will ask LF or Bantam. Some will give you coop choices single/double.

6. BoldogKennel

Jan 29, 2010
    Washington State
    Olds cool, have not gotten a PM from you, is that what you ment? Not sure what email I h ave listed, I'll go check those.

Thanks for the info guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by