Showing questions regarding bathing birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mustangsaguaro, Jan 6, 2013.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I am going to my first show next weekend. Have some questions regarding bathing my birds. I have a total of 6 birds I am taking. I currently don't work but am starting a temp job as early as next Wed. I was planning on bathing 3 of my birds Wed and 3 on Thur. But since I might be going back to work am thinking about doing it Mon and Tues. instead. Is it ok to bathe the birds that far ahead? With my 3 silkies I am taking I might opt to do 1 or 2 Wed and the other Thur. when I get home from work. I do currently have them on shavings. After I am done bathing and drying them I was planning on putting them back where I currently have them and put fresh clean shavings. Would you suggest this or not? I don't want them to get all dirty again after bathing them. I only have a limited amount of space and I don't really have show cages in which I can put them in. I also have 3 Ameraucana's I am taking. They have been cooped up but not on deep shavings like the silkies have been. After bathing the Ameraucana's should I add shaving to where they have been so they don't get all dirty as well.

Finally I have another show I am planning on attending at the end of January as well. Am I going to need to bathe the birds again for this show too? I will most likely bathe the silkies. But will I need to bathe the Ameraucana's.

Any help/input from others that go to shows would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    I say you will need to bath them again for the second show.

I usually bath mines the mroning before than blow dry and then keep a dry cloth rag in case I need to wipe. You could do it early and just see how the look the day before and the worst thing that can happen is you will have to bath them again.

I hope that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by