Showing signs

misshell

Songster
May 30, 2020
Livermore, California
Four of my pullets (gold sex links) are showing signs they are ready to lay eggs. Well, one already is laying, but the rest are not. They are 20 weeks old. They have been showing signs for a few weeks. They squat when I walk up to them. Their combs and waddles are red and swollen and they are always hanging out around the nesting boxes making tons of noise. Just curious how long do they usually show signs until they actually start producing? We live right next to a train and its LOUD. Sometimes I wonder if that will hold them back.

Last edited:
Since they are the same age and same breed, they should start laying pretty close together - within a few weeks. But it's not an exact science.
I doubt the train will bother them since they grew up with it - if they were full grown hens moving in it'd be a different story.
Unfortunately, there's no way to say for sure. Hopefully you'll see some more eggs soon!

Four of my pullets (gold sex links) are showing signs they are ready to lay eggs. Well, one already is laying, but the rest are not. They are 20 weeks old. They all have been showing signs for a few weeks. They squat when I walk up to them. Their combs and waddles are red and swollen and they are always hanging out around the nesting boxes making tons of noise. Just curious how long do they usually show signs until they actually start producing? We live right next to a train and its LOUD. Sometimes I wonder if that will hold them back.
They are probably used to the train.
Do you free range?
Here's some tips about how to tell....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Last edited:
I do free range, but only in the later afternoons right now.
Newly laying pullets can lay any time of the day.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Oh wow, so they can be laying eggs all over my backyard right now? Thanks for all the information. You’ve been very helpful! I will keep them in the coop and run for a few days and see how it goes!

Also, the run is 13ft long and 6ft wide. I have eight pullets. Is that enough space for them?

Back
Top Bottom