Showing silkies? What to do. What to do.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ducksarecool12, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ducksarecool12

ducksarecool12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    oklahoma
    Last night I bought a splash silkie and a white silkie. The lady said (I think, I don't remember exactly) that they were 6-7 weeks old. My question is if I decide to show them, do I need their exact dob?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    No you do not, we use the term Pullet and when showing a pullet is any bird under a year of age and never layed, they aren't real strick on that though. a hen is a bird over a year old and has layed, it is however hard to pull the wool over the judges eyes as long as it's not overly obvious that your young pullet is an old hen LOL. However when showing young pullet and cockrels it is more important that they have good proper conformation to the breed standard, and sometimes this may take awhile and the bird should be raised as a show bird and fed properly as to maximize it's growth potential.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  3. ducksarecool12

Jul 27, 2010
    oklahoma
    Whatsthe best feed for them at this age?

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

at the shows i show at the rules say they have to be FULLY feathered. they do not require an age. u just put Pullet, Cockrel, Hen, or Cock on the entry forms

5. stephanie1992

any new chciks-chick starter.... i feed any chicken under a year-around 6 months purina mixed flock. any over a year get mixed flock and lay mash mixed. and the roos get mixed flock. i only feed purina brand foods

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  6. JeanR

JeanR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Montana
    Actually, to show any birds, they should be in Mature and best plumage. Pullets may or may not have started layng, mine usually start at about 4-4 1/2 months. But they are not hens until a year old, laying or not. Keep track of their age, even if maybe not exact. If you plan to show, you will have to take extra care of their plumage--keep feathered feet and legs from wear and tear. Keeping them clean, will make their prep (bath) for Show, easier. It is great pleasure and you get to meet others with like interests--really nice! Lots of good keen work! Good luck, Woodenshoes....

7. ducksarecool12

Jul 27, 2010
    oklahoma
    Since my birds are so young when do I start getting them ready for show? How do I get them used to being in a cage? Do you lock them in a cage when your conditioning? How do you get them used to being handled? Website, thread, knowledge, anything would help! I'm really interested in this hobby just don't know where to start!

8. stephanie1992

i just handle mine everyday. get them use to being flipped upside down agenst ur chest and i keep mine in a cage to start with. and i train them to drink out if rabbit waterers. so at the show i just hang one of thos in there cage. handle them alot. mess with there feet, and wings. and just get them used to being handled all over. i spend time with mine an hour aday. some people dont do anything. they just have there birds in there coop. catch them before show. wash them/ and take them to the show and never have problems.

9. ducksarecool12

Jul 27, 2010
    oklahoma
    Do you keep them in individual cages or are multipule in one cage? How big are the cages? Are they wire? And so I should put them in a cage right now? Or wait till their older? Right now their in my coop

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by