Showing - What do I DO?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bantyhen'sfriend, Aug 24, 2010.

1. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    I'm very interested in showing chickens. I have a pair of show quality birds alreay, and I think I'm ready to give it a go. But, I have only showed my birds at the county level, and there we show differently than at APA shows. At the county fair, we take our birds out of the cages and bring them into the adjacent stock pavilion, where they are judged and ribbons for that class are handed out.

But, is dropping your clean birds off in the morning and picking up your ribbons/awards and your birds at night all you do? It just doesn't seem right to me, somehow... I keep feeling like there has to be more to it! Most of my apprehension is likely due to the fact that the next show in my area is the Wisconsin International. I am not shure that this would be the best choice for a maiden voyage!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Im going to a one day show, I think birds must be cooped in by 9. So I get there at least an hour before. Make sure all the birds are looking good, etc. I dont give food or water until after judging is over, otherwise the silkies could dunk their crests and beards. I stay there all day, walking around, checking on my birds. Looking at the sale area. This year i'm bringing birds to sell, so I will have that to do. Stay there, talk to other breeders, etc. Have fun!

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    bantyhen'sfriend :

I'm very interested in showing chickens. I have a pair of show quality birds alreay, and I think I'm ready to give it a go. But, I have only showed my birds at the county level, and there we show differently than at APA shows. At the county fair, we take our birds out of the cages and bring them into the adjacent stock pavilion, where they are judged and ribbons for that class are handed out.

But, is dropping your clean birds off in the morning and picking up your ribbons/awards and your birds at night all you do? It just doesn't seem right to me, somehow... I keep feeling like there has to be more to it! Most of my apprehension is likely due to the fact that the next show in my area is the Wisconsin International. I am not shure that this would be the best choice for a maiden voyage!

Oooh, come show at the Wisconsin International! I'll be there! Everyone's friendly. [​IMG] I'll be hanging out in the building all day Saturday (my younger sister is participating in some of the Junior events that'll be going on throughout the day).

It's not a one-day show. Birds have to be cooped in Friday afternoon OR before 9:00 on Saturday morning, and they'll be released around 11:00, just after final judging and awards on Sunday. You'll be responsible for feeding and watering them (but, like Sundown said, you won't want to give them much more than a quick drink when they first arrive - so they don't get wet or poop all over their cage - or, heaven forbid, on the judge![​IMG])

And if you are going to enter some birds, do it quick! Entries are due in a week!​

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2010
  4. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    Do you dress up or anything, or is that just for showmanship in the junior show?

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    go to the show have fun. you can wear whatever you like. most people hang around and talk birds. go watch the showmanship you can learn a ton watching the kids.

6. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    At our local 4H fair show, they put a microphone on the judge - it was AWESOME! We got to hear his comments about each bird and what the qualities were he was looking for. Man I learned a ton that day. I wish they could do that at all shows.

7. blackred

blackred Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    Quote:I believe they call that a Danish show. We we first started the Capital Area Poultry Club (Austin) 25 years ago we use to have one every year for the members of our club to learn. We limited to 100 birds and had it in a members barn. It was pretty cool.

Bob

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by