Showing.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilkiesForEver, Mar 25, 2012.

1. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Hi,
    Me and my friend are interested in showing our Silkie pullets in the junior poultry show at the California State fair and we're wondering what to expect, I've heard two different ways: You get your bird and show prepped and then put it in a cage and the judge does the rest.
    The second way: You have to wear white clothes examine the bird for the judge, Head, Wings, Under Color, Width of the Body, The Keel Bone and so on. Then you cage your bird.
    So I'm really confused, does any one know?

2. redandalusian

redandalusian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Arizona
    The second option is what you do in showmanship the first option is what you do when you just show them

3. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Whats the difference? Is a junior poultry show showmanship or showing?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The junior show will almost certainly be exhibition. There will also likely be showmanship, but you need to read your show book to see their rules. In some shows, your showmanship bird MUST be one you are exhibiting; in some it MUST NOT be one you are exhibiting, and in others it does not matter. You typically do not pay extra for showmanship, and usually sign up for it at the show, but once again, check the book. Sometimes you may have an extra fee and need to sign up ahead of time.

Have fun!

5. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks! The one I will be showing is my little pullet. (she is my profile pic) [​IMG]
    I hope we do well!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I hope she is older than in your profile photo. For exhibition you really need an adult bird--at least 6-8 months old. In some breeds you can use a bird that is maybe 5 or even 4 months, but silkies are still too baby-like at that age.

7. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    She will be about 7 months when we show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by