Showing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by YummyEggz, Nov 24, 2013.

1. YummyEggz

YummyEggz Out Of The Brooder

This is probably one of the most stupid questions you've ever heard, but I'm new to this whole chicken thing, so don't blame me. ;) Alright, here it is:

What is chicken showing? What do you do in it? Give me all the details.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I don't show so I don't have all the details but it is kind of like a science fair or 4h. You raise the birds at home, register them with the show for your area, put them in a cage, and have them viewed by people and judged by their looks and how close to their breed they are. Winners can get anything from a small ribbon to a small cash prize. If you ever go to a show and you own any hatchery chickens you will be humbled by just how beautiful they can get. For people like me who don't show it is an excuse to go see pretty chickens and meet other chicken crazy people.

3. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Chickens are different than other species as they are judged without the presence of a showman. They are placed in cages and the judges come around and compare them to each other and the written standard for each breed and variety listed in the American Standard of Perfection. You don't register chickens, you just enter them into a show(usually two or three weeks ahead of show). You don't have to raise them, but I don't recommend a feed store for your source. Find a breeder here online. Bath them a week befor the show, and do some final touch ups the night before. Put it into it's designated cage and hang out at the show. The judges go through and judge them, and that afternoon or the next morning(depending if it's a two day or one day show) you can check out. Search online for an entry form or contact the show secretary to get an entry form.

4. YummyEggz

Thank you guys so much! That really helped me! I do have one more question, though - will you have to take your chicken out and actually handle it, or do they just stay in their cage? I have a beautiful Australorp who would do great at this, but she hates to be picked up. When I do, she squeals like a pig and flaps her wings...

5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    No, they stay in the cage. You don't even have to be near your chicken when the judges come by.

6. YummyEggz

Good! Just what I wanted to hear!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by