Showing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by IloveBuffy, Dec 12, 2013.

1. IloveBuffy

IloveBuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2013
    How do you show a chicken at the fair? Is there a best breed for it? Will roosters work?

2. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Any breed that is show quality and meets up to the Standard or Excellence for the APA can be shown. Roosters are very common in shows as the roosters of some breeds are prettier then the hens.

3. OEG Lifer

OEG Lifer Out Of The Brooder

Check with your local fair. If they judge to the APA then that is your guide. Post a pic of your fella if you're not sure if he's up to standard.

4. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut

Exactly. And im sure some BYCers would judge your chicken and tell you if its worth showing

5. IloveBuffy

Dec 8, 2013
    He's a white Aracauna or Americana or EE, but when my friend did it the judge told her to bring a banty next time... Should I bring a Silkie, a Leghorn, or my light little Australorp? I don't know... Also, do peafowl count? If I brought my peacock Francis to the fair, would we be disqualified? I don't know.

6. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    More information might help us help you.

That the judge told her to bring a banty suggests that this was a showmanship contest, not a breed contest. Picking a chicken for showmanship is a different consideration than choosing purebreds for a breed competition, and we can help you with that.

Well, it does make a difference. Easter Eggers will not show well in a breed competition or even in showmanship.

An Araucana does not have a tail.

An Ameraucana does have a tail and comes in specific APA color varieties.

Figure out what you have (plenty of online resources), but most likely, if you don't know, it's an Easter Egger.

An Australorp should be a really large chicken.

Your library may have a Standard of Perfection that may help you figure out which of your chickens is best suited to showing. For showmanship, the leghorn might be the best bet if those are your choices.

Read your fair booklet to understand the contests, and it may help to ask questions of someone who shows locally at your fair to better understand local expectations.

7. IloveBuffy

Dec 8, 2013
    Hmmm... [​IMG] Can I use him? He's a little heavy, though...

8. IloveBuffy

Dec 8, 2013
    I also just found out that I have a Aracauna cockerel as well.

9. IloveBuffy

Dec 8, 2013
    Hello?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by