Showing????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ktg 100, Feb 16, 2014.

1. ktg 100

ktg 100 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2013
    I have recently I got some pure breed chickens and hope to show
    some of the off spring or them. I have not been to a show so I was wondering what judges look
    for and how to prepare a chicken for a show.
    Thanks.

2. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    The only show that I have been to was my county fair but I can tell you that cleaner birds are more likely to win, so I would recommend that you give them a bath.
    I talked to a retired judge and he said that depending on the breed, they look for maturity and whether or not the chicken has been laying eggs very well.

3. ktg 100

May 3, 2013
    Thanks, would you have any advise on how to bath a
    chicken can you use any shampoo or do you have to get a special type
    like dogs.

4. Joshua G

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    I just use a cheap pet shampoo to wash my chickens with.

5. ktg 100

May 3, 2013
    Also would you add to their diet a bit before the show to improve
    feathers etc

6. Joshua G

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    You can buy special show feed for chickens, but I didn't buy any before I went to the show.

7. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hi - you can use a mild, baby shampoo when you have to bath your chickens. Also, there are some medicated shampoos that will kill any worm, lice, etc. that may be used on the chickens. When you check in for a show, they check the chickens for any type of infestation and your chickens can be disqualified if something is found. So most times you would not bath until the day of the show or night prior. I am not sure how other shows work it, but when you show at a County Fair, you can show in different categories. For example, layers show in pairs of two and it is critical that the hens are healthy and look alike even down to the different shades of the feathers, feet, comb, etc. Same thing for a breeders pen that would include two hens and one rooster.

You are also judged on the way you handle your bird in and out the cage, question and answers about poultry from the judge, etc.

There are some valuable web sites that provide a good overview of the poultry showing for 4H that will probably give you a good start. Also, if you have a local 4H organization, they may be able to put you in contact with a local representative who judges in your area. They are a great resource.

I was surprised how much is involved in poultry shows and what they look for.

Good Luck! [​IMG] My kids have shown poultry in 4H and have really loved it. We are working to increase our younger 4H members to begin showing - it is a great hobby!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by