Showmanship Info Please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GracefulBantams, Oct 28, 2009.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I am familiar with how showmanship is done at poultry shows, but now that I am planning to host a showmanship day for my local 4-H poultry club, it seams I don't know enough [​IMG]
    Any helpful pointers?

Thanks!

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Have the kid pick ONE of his/her poultry. The key is for that kid to know EVERYTHING about his particular chicken. Have this kid answer one of the questions below (or any other question) Have this kid SHOW you their chicken and show you parts of them. Comb, wattles, etc.

Questions you can ask different kids. How do you groom, how do you wash, how do you house, how much area does a chicken need, What meds should you always have on hand, and what are these meds for? What do you feed it, how much? what all does it need(feed,water,shelter, fresh air, sunshine, grass, etc) How do you ready a chicken for a show. What are pin feathers, what are primaries, (other types of feathers) difference between feathered feet and smoothe feet. Diff between bantam and standard. If you don't know something about chickens where would you go to get information about what care item you need to know about(IE Internet, library, chicken farmer, vet, feed store, etc)

Showmanship is really all about what this particular child KNOWS about chickens and care, not what his/her parents did to help them get ready! Some you KNOW they know others you KNOW their parents did it all.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Go to the American Poultry Association website & buy their Showmanship Manuel-it's $3 I think. It will give you all the information you need.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  4. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thank you both!
    Nyreds, I believe I already have that book...if I do I had better find it [​IMG] Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by