1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Showmanship Pictorial->Examine your bird right ->Dialup beware! :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Whitehouse Quail, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Showmanship for poultry is all oral, which means you have to be able to say what is in white on the pictures, while you are doing it in front of a judge. Showmanship is actually judging on how well you know your bird, and how you handle it, not really what the bird looks like. Make sure to wear a white collared shirt and black pants to look professional. Only do the 'hen parts' for hens, and the only difference for roosters is that you check the spurs on the legs along with the shank. Also, know your breed, your class, and the other breeds' trivia. And, most importantly, have fun! It's a real great time, and you learn a lot.

Also, the way that you hold the chicken is your middle finger between the legs, with your second and fourth finger squeezing together like your going to backhand someone. Then, with your thumb and pinky, you hold the wings down so they don't flip out. This enables you to flip it over as much as you want, and it won't care.

Also, dont' flip it over all the way, just 90*, otherwise they will throw up whatever is in it's crop.

This guide doesn't include posing on the table or cage, PM me for details on those, because I didn't have a table to pose on. [​IMG]

Any questions? PM me! (This guide is straight from the Michigan State Poultry Book, except I took all the pictures and paraphrased for easy to read-ness!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  2. TheCoopers

TheCoopers si amoureux

Sep 16, 2009
    Lexington,SC
    Very nice and Informative.
    Thanks for sharing.

3. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    I sense a sticky [​IMG]
    Great job!

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Very nice! Alot different for adult exhibitors though. We just gotta put em in the cage... LOL

5. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    WOW! Great job, good info!

6. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Cool, thanks! I learned some things. [​IMG]

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    For my showmanship class this year, the judge asked us: 1. How many primary feathers a bird has. 2. The parts of the comb. 3. How to show different parts of the bird (i.e. face, tail, etc.) 4. What NPIP stood for.

8. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Can you answer those questions for us (me)??

LOL

9. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:I like judges like that. I never knew how to check a bird thank you.

10. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Can you answer those questions for us (me)??

LOL

lol Sure. Every bird, regardless of the species has 10 primary feathers on each wing. 2. The parts of the comb you can look up, as I don't know remember. 3. The judge asked us to show him the tail. You either hold the bird and tilt them up and down so it fans out or you run your hand up them to fan them out. 4. NPIP stands for National Poultry Improvement Plan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by