Shredded chicken - I need inspiration

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by prairiegirl, May 26, 2010.

1. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Songster

Jul 6, 2008
    I have shredded chicken and want to use it for supper tonight. Nothing sounds especially good to me. I have corn tortillas I'd like to use and began looking for a recipe using both those ingredients, but again nothing jumped out at me. I tried searching this forum, but I seem to have trouble with the search function.

Please share any ideas or recipes.

Thanks so much~

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Put some BBQ sauce in it and have BBQ chicken sandwiches! YUM![​IMG]

3. Or slice up onions and peppers, saute and have fajitas.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
  5. Campo Verde, a restaurant near us, has the yummiest taco salad that they use shredded chicken in.

Prolly don't have those taco bowl jobbers, but basically lettuce, tomato, black olives, onion.... whatever with the mexi-ish shredded chicken on top.

OHhhh that sounds SO good now. May have to have that for supper here!

Enchiladas (sour cream *drool*), Tacos, Tostadas, Burritos are also tastey.

Can always make a casserole. Check your freezer, see what veggies you have.

Hmmm... anyone ever made a chicken omelet? Ham, bacon, steak... donno about chicken.

But yeah, lots of options.

6. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Songster

Jul 6, 2008
    YUM! Thank you everyone for all the good ideas. My DD came in and wanted Chicken Tacos so that's what I made. But, I am going to keep all of these menu ideas for future use. We have several chickens in the freezer that I'm trying to use. It's easy for me to put a whole or cut up chicken in the crock pot and then all I have to do is debone the meat.

I'd love to have more ideas.

Thank you

7. arabianequine

arabianequine Crowing

Apr 4, 2010
    I think taquitos sound wonderful....I get all the meat off bone and then add a pack of lipton onion soup mix dry and a bit of chilli powder or taco spice you might want to add a tad of liquid to mix then stuff the "warmed" corn tortillas so they bend easier roll them up and then deep fry....you can freeze them to and reheat or fry. You can do this with beef and pork too. You can add jalapeno pepper and/or onion also if you would like.

I also shred any of the above meats and mix with bbq sauce too and you can do the same or sandwiches.

8. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Make chicken crepes.
    Make standard crepes, one or two per person, depending on size and appetites.

Mix shredded chicken with shredded mixed italian cheese, ricotta or cottage cheese, garlic, sliced green onions, chopped herbs such as parsley, rosemary, thyme, and an egg or two.

Add mixture, about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of chicken to center of crepe, Roll up and place in greased baking dish.

If you are feeling adventuous make a little white gravy and add to top of crepes. Sprinkle with more cheese and bake 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

9. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
  10. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Songster

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Oh my goodness! Taquitos! I'm making these!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by