Shredded Newapaper for Quail Chicks?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Robo, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Right now people are giving me newspaper and old telephone books to shred up and put in chicken nest boxes. I have a garbage can full of this in my garage and I was wondering if the quail chicks could use it. I know their feet will slip on newspaper, but what about shredded newspaper? Thanks for the help.[​IMG]

2. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    I sometimes use the bits from a *cross shredder (?) ya know the shredder that makes bits instead of strips....
    I would not use the long strips until they were at least about a week old. then they think its great fun to tunnel around!

3. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Thats the kind of shredder I have. I already use it in rabbit pens and drop pans for bobwhites.

4. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    so then I think I'd put them on towel for first 24hrs to help get legs under them, then put on the bits. I see no reason not to use them.

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I don't know since I never use anything but Pine shavings but I would be worried about the ink or lead from the print... [​IMG]

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It could also catch on fire.[​IMG]

7. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/cd-fact/0136.html

Read
    Myth #4.

Modern newspaper ink is organic -- soy based. It no longer contains things like lead.

I would suspect -- but do not know for sure -- that phone books are printed with the same type of ink.

I give a phone book to my rabbit. I tear the cover off and when he's bored he starts shredding.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by