Shredded newspaper as bedding?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bearz, Sep 24, 2008.

1. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I'm sitting here in my office looking at a pile of newspaper and my document shredder and a lightbulb appears above my head. Instead of putting that pile in the garage for recycling, why not shred it and use it for bedding. Now I know I can't use anything coated in plastic but is there any reason why I can't use the rest?

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    for adult chickens I assume you mean? I imagine it would get awful wet and sorta gross pretty fast.

3. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Well I use a mix of straw and store-bought bedding now and I was thinking that the newspaper would absorb the moisture better. Straw sure doesn't.

4. justpete

justpete Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Southern NH
    I would stick to shavings and recycle the paper.

5. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    bearz, I had the same thought...sitting here in my office, looking at a huge pile of documents to shred....but got the same advice...stick to bedding. So I have.

Instead I'm using the shredded paper to stuff some giant trash bag style jack-o-lanterns for the Chamber pumpkin patch.

6. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I was told it makes great bedding, but then I used it and people were freaking out saying that the ink is SO bad for them. So I would say go for it. It IS messy though. [​IMG]

7. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Harley's girl :

I was told it makes great bedding, but then I used it and people were freaking out saying that the ink is SO bad for them. So I would say go for it. It IS messy though. [​IMG]

I would think it would depend on whether it was the old style ink or the soybean based ones a lot of papers use now. I have no idea how to tell which is which without calling your paper and asking.​

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Just get shavings. Cheaper, 10 times more absorbent, easier to deal with... Shredded paper is slightly better than straw but then straw is about the least absorbent, slickest, and messiest bedding you can get. Straw will actually insulate not only heat but moisture keeping it from drying and your building wetter than if you used nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by