Shredded newspaper as bedding?

bearz

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
I'm sitting here in my office looking at a pile of newspaper and my document shredder and a lightbulb appears above my head. Instead of putting that pile in the garage for recycling, why not shred it and use it for bedding. Now I know I can't use anything coated in plastic but is there any reason why I can't use the rest?

Well I use a mix of straw and store-bought bedding now and I was thinking that the newspaper would absorb the moisture better. Straw sure doesn't.

bearz, I had the same thought...sitting here in my office, looking at a huge pile of documents to shred....but got the same advice...stick to bedding. So I have.

Instead I'm using the shredded paper to stuff some giant trash bag style jack-o-lanterns for the Chamber pumpkin patch.

I was told it makes great bedding, but then I used it and people were freaking out saying that the ink is SO bad for them. So I would say go for it. It IS messy though.
smile.png

Harley's girl :

I was told it makes great bedding, but then I used it and people were freaking out saying that the ink is SO bad for them. So I would say go for it. It IS messy though.
smile.png

I would think it would depend on whether it was the old style ink or the soybean based ones a lot of papers use now. I have no idea how to tell which is which without calling your paper and asking.​

Just get shavings. Cheaper, 10 times more absorbent, easier to deal with... Shredded paper is slightly better than straw but then straw is about the least absorbent, slickest, and messiest bedding you can get. Straw will actually insulate not only heat but moisture keeping it from drying and your building wetter than if you used nothing.

Back
Top Bottom