Shredded office paper?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FloridaChickenChick, Jun 2, 2008.

1. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Can I use shredded office paper for litter for my baby chicks? Mostly white, some color.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I know that used as horse bedding it rapidly turns into an especially nasty form of paper-mache [​IMG]

My day-olds came in a box packed with strip-shredded office paper (not thru the mail - I picked them up and drove them home) and they got all tangled in it. i do not know at what age they'd outgrow that problem, but suspect it may coincide with the age at which their poo output makes the nasty paper-mache problem an issue [​IMG]

Probably someone else has actually tried it though and can give you better advice [​IMG]

Pat

3. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Ha ha. I never thought about the papier mache issue....blech. Rats...thought I had a great solution on my hands.

Thanks!

4. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've been using it for my chickens. There are 4 of them, two about a month old and two about 3 months old. It really hasn't been getting that wet, although it's getting changed daily. It's been a great way to use up lots of documents that need to be shredded anyway, and when it's changed out I throw the used stuff in the compost bin.

5. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I used it for a while, but my chicks were about 2 weeks old at the time, and I found myself changing it daily...then I went to shavings and sweepings from the bales of alfalfa

6. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I know a guy who used shredded office paper in his checken pen...Oh My! You couldn't get within 30 ft of the place, it smelled like somebody died in there, seriously I have never smelled anything that bad in my life! And it was wet and very unhealthy...

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by