Shredded paper for bedding?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenJill, Nov 11, 2010.

1. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    can I use shredded paper for bedding

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    For what? Adults or chicks.

For adults it should be fine, for chicks, I wouldn't use newspaper because it has a reputation of being slippery when wet.

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I put a mix of shred newspaper and pine shavings in the nest box for them. They love it!

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I believe i've read where you can. Been thinking about doing this since I can get all I need from work!! I wonder how it would work mixing it with pine shavings?? Would they be able to keep it fluffed up as well or would it get too wet!!

5. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    I use it. Last year, I mixed w/ pine shavings for the deep litter method. This year I'm just using paper. It works very well. The birds love it especially when they get new bags. I don't even spread it around. I dump the bags and throw corn around. Very fun on a rainy day when no one wants to go outside. I cleaned it up for the first time last spring. It was a big job and with a huge compost pile. I just walked out a few minutes ago and it is all composted and ready to go on the garden and not nearly as big. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say DH spread it on the garden already! [​IMG] I use pine shavings for chicks though.

6. ZuulLanceMaster

ZuulLanceMaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    California
    I shred newspaper and use it in my coop and boxes. i think its great, just so long as you change it regularly!

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Thanks! Think I'll bring a bag home from work tomorrow!! [​IMG]

8. hurricanerb

hurricanerb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    Yes, if the chickens are old enough. When they're little I wouldn't recommend it, but after 6 weeks, it's perfectlly fine. I've used all kinds of bedding: aspen chip, wood shavings, petco hamster bedding, paper bedding. They seem to like the aspen chip the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by