1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shredded paper OK for bedding?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chrissieg, Apr 24, 2007.

1. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks are just over a week old. I've got some shredded paper - it looks like magazines rather than newsprint, would it make good bedding?
    I'm asking as I can remember being told about something dying through ingesting ink - but was it a hamster?[​IMG]

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Shredded paper may cause a problem for those little chick legs. They need something that won't get slimy with chick poo or spilled water on it.

Although I don't use it, shredded paper is said to work well when they are a bit older. Personally, I would stay away from colored dyes.

3. chrissieg

Thanks, at the moment they are on an old candlewick bedspread which I can take up and rinse out, I'll stick with that for the time being!

4. hipmarye

hipmarye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    I have wood shavings I bought at Lowe's. Before that I had paper towels over the shavings. When they started pulling the paper towels up several days ago I stopped putting it down. Mine are 2 weeks old.

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    The problem is Shredded paper egt too wet too fast, then turns to glue! Also chicks will eat it, and it will cause a Blockage. So i personally would not use it for chicks.

6. chrissieg

I'll just put it on the compost heap [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  7. cookie_chick

cookie_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Australia
    I thought it was fine i used it for my chickie cookie and shes fine

was it such a good move??

8. chrissieg

I put a couple of small pieces in just to check their reactions - there was an almighty tag game and they ate it! lololol!! SO I think I'll leave it for now! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by