shredded paper

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by blueheaven, Mar 31, 2009.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    does anyone use shredded paper for flooring instead of pine/wood shavings?

just wondering if that might be a 'great way to recycle...'

2. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Watch the amount of ink. Also , you will find it does not absorb Oder as well as the alternatives. Also if your floor is dirt then I dont think slippage will be a problem. If you have other than dirt , paper might cause them to slip, which will cause lameness and tendon damage.

3. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    I tried the shredded paper to save some money. It clumps and gets packed down really fast. My next experiment is mixing shredded paper and straw. See how that works. My local feed store ran out wood shavings and don't want to drive an hour to get some. So experimenting I go!! It definitely doesn't work well for ducklings or goslings. Gets wet and messy way to fast.

4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I use shredded paper in both my brooder and coop. And I don't have any problems with it. The brooder gets changed frequently so odor isn't a problem there. And we live in a fairly dry climate, but even when it rains I don't notice anything other than regular chicken poop odor.

I have two shredders and I find it works best to mix the shavings from each for the coop. One shredder is pretty old and just makes long strips. The other shredder is newer and does the 1" diamond cuts. The 1" stuff does pack down quickly, works fine for the brooder, but I would be adding to it daily if it was my sole source for the coop. A mixture of both works best for my coop...but the girls really like the smaller shreds in their nest, so I oblige [​IMG]

5. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    I am using shredded paper with no problems and it is free. I will take the old and mix in with compost material.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by