Shredded Paper

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Linda in San Diego, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I have a lot of junk mail and mail that I shred. What do you think about adding it to the wood shavings in the bottom of the coop?
    Would it get too wet? Right now everything is staying nice and pine smelling. I wonder if the paper would cause a change? I just want to do what I can with the excess paper that I have.
    If this is not a good idea, I will just continue composting it as I have been.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    From what I've been told, not having tried it myself, the shredded paper becomes a dang paper mache mess when it gets wet and gets poo on it. I know it's tempting to put it to use with the chickens, but I wouldn't.

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Put it in your compost pile.

4. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    LOL, good thing I asked! Tomorrow is coop cleaning day! I will start my worm farm and use the paper shreds there and in the compost pile, thanks for the information all.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Linda, you mention having to clean your coop. Have you looked into the deep litter method? You can type 'deep litter method' into the BYC search engine and gets tons of info. on it. I had Dawn's very informative page on it saved in my favorites, but I can't use my puter right now. Just thought I'd suggest it.

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I started using shredded paper just two weeks ago... I'm not sure I like it only because I open the coop door and paper comes flying out. Then it looks like trash instead of bedding! Not only that, but I like the pine smell and the paper seems to flatten out.

7. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Yeah, I like the pine smell too. I think I will just put shredded paper into the compost.

Thanks all!

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Ive used shredded paper for a long time. I get it at work from the shredder. It works fine and it's "free". Just keep adding a new layer each day. My chicks are moved to the main brood cage pretty quick, so the litter used in the natal box isnt all that important.

But I got a GIGANTIC bag of pine shavings yesterday for les than $5 as TSC. I'll stick with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by