Shredded potatos, diced brisket, & fresh eggs! Now w/ brisket recipe!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by F106A, Aug 12, 2011.

1. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Y'all ever have one of those mornings where ya open the fridge, and go, "Hmmmm?" This was so simple I really can't believe I haven't done it before considering how many times I have left-over brisket. Usually I just make sandwiches, brisket & beans, or throw it in a stew. Breakfast? It never hit me until this morning. This made my entire day!

Warm a frying pan up with some oil. Shred a potato, dice up some leftover brisket, and throw it all in the pan. Crack a few eggs in a bowl, stir them up, and pour them in the pan after the potatos & brisket fry for a bit. Stir until done, pour a cup of coffee, and enjoy!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Sounds like yummy home-made hash and eggs.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. F106A

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    I know! I just don't know why I never thought to use the brisket! It's so simple!

4. alabama49

alabama49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    east central Alabama
    F106A-Hey can you share your brisket recipe with us? I love brisket!!!!

5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    sounds so good [​IMG]

6. F106A

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Quote:Well, I don't know if I'd call it a recipe! Basically I take an 11-14 pound, packer-cut brisket, trim the fat down to about a 1/4 inch or so, and crosshatch it. Next I coat it with brown mustard, liberally use whatever rub I have handy (last time it was an applewood rub), cover it, and let it sit overnight in the 'fridge. In the morning (EARLY) I set it out to get it up to room temperature, fire up the smoker, and for the next 12 hours (or so) try to keep the smoker temp at around 225-250 degrees. I use a drip pan under the brisket (usually with apple juice), but have used water if I forgot the juice. No big deal. Usually I will mop the brisket with a beer/vinegar/oil/spice concoction - again, using whatever I think of, but generally it includes garlic, hot sauce, onions and pepper flakes. Oh, fat side up the entire time. Generally I use a charcoal bed in the firebox, and have tried several types of wood from apple, to mesquite, oak, hickory, and pecan. Go easy with the mesquite if you choose that!

When the brisket temp hits 185 degrees it comes out of the smoker. I cover it in foil at this point, and will let it sit in the oven (unheated) or microwave (depends on the size) for at least another hour. I tried cutting/serving right out of the smoker before, but found letting it sit really imparts more juice/tenderness. When my food processor - I mean oldest son - lived at home we could easily go through half the brisket in one sitting! (Baked beans with potato salad is a favorite, although lately I've been into making sandwiches with a southern-style sauce, and coleslaw on a kaiser roll! Yum!) These days it is much less, so I have had more leftovers to use experimenting with recipes. Simple substitution using brisket instead of traditional beef is the most common use. Some recipes are better than others!

As far as every brisket I've ever done being competion-grade when they come out of the smoker? Not even! It does take some experimenting. Most of what I first learned was from reading how others did it. From that I developed my own style. One style my youngest son wants me to try is injecting the brisket. Maybe next time. BTW, this is the smoker I usually use, but have used a vertical, water smoker too. Both work fine, but you have to watch them.

Good luck with yours!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by