Shrill shrieking guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by ohiofarmgirl, Jan 19, 2010.

1. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    yikes!

my guineas have been screaming for 3 days and nights STRAIGHT. i'm about to take the hatchet to them....

no, they are not lacking anything.. food, water - check and double check
    no, as far as i can tell neither wolves nor tigers are out there threatening them...
    no, there's nothing in there with them....no rogue hens or turkeys...

what gives? seriously i cant take it anymore....

help!

2. Jilly999

Jilly999 New Egg

Sep 24, 2009
    TN
    Mine have been shrieking for 2 days.

Only thing I can figure is that the New Madrid earthquake fault is getting ready to blow. [​IMG]

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Something is obviously bothering them, is there a grocery bag stuck in the neighbours hedge? Is one leaf still on the tree across the street, that rufuses to fall? There must be a reason. Good luck with this. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Are they doing it constantly or just when you are outside, if just when you are out there, you may have switched hats, so they are worried, or possibly a new jacket for Christmas. If I am out, and decide its chilly mine will go crazy even if I just reach through the door and get any jacket they do not know.

4. ohiofarmgirl

Jan 22, 2009
    hee hee hee well they could be an earthquake detector!

nope nothing has changed.. not even me! and yes they do it all. the. time. even at nite. we covered the window in their coop so it would be even darker.... and just in case the inside cats are hopping around in the windows giving the guineas the finger.. or i should say... the paw

;-)

i got 3 of them as chicks last august and have no idea if males or females - could they be getting ready to lay??? as in, "hey whats this funny feeling in my belly????"

ugh!

5. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    [​IMG] Marlinchaser, I have a godfather that comes out with stuff like that. That is just too funny.

6. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    They won't start laying until spring. Possibly March. That is when ours started last spring. You should be able to tell if male or female by the call they make. http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/sounds/
    Can't
    help with why they are freaking out constantly though. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I have had mine go crazy because I moved the block that holds the waterer in the coop, in fact they didnt want to go in till it was completely dark, because I moved it about 2 feet while turning the litter. same block, same waterer, just moved a little bit. Now if I go move it back where it was they freak because the old spot is now new. Gotta love em. [​IMG]

8. ohiofarmgirl

Jan 22, 2009
    thanks froggie71! wow i'll check it out.

MChaser... come to think of it.. we did take one of the turkeys from the nearby coop out - do you think he was their best friend? gulp.. um.. he might not be comin' back!

:)

9. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    hahaha on the leaf still on the tree scenario. That was a good laugh for the night. I was going to mention the light or if there were lights on, but you already answered to that one as well.
    Are they that spoiled then? I still have 22 of them still in the coup and thank goodness they are quiet at night. But as soon as the sun pops up, they like to talk until they are fed.

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Now I know why my aunt only wants a FEW guineas....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by