Shrimp tails?

chick-george

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Lancaster
What do you think about feeding shrimp tails and shells to the chickens and how would you process them? I have been giving the "shells" and tails to mine. I rinse them after I clean the shrimp. I thought if they could eat raw meat and other leftovers, shrimp leavings might be okay. I usually chop them up for them but they can pull them to pieces pretty easily. I hadn't really thought too much about it, except to worry if they would flavor the eggs. But so far I haven't noticed anything strange.

Chickens aren't quite so much like ducks in which their diet's taste affects their egg taste. I would think it to be perfectly fine. I feed left-over salmon and crab that has been caught around here. (flesh, heads, legs, etc.)

I am going to feed my girls Prawn shells this week. Though I think I will put them through the blender first to crunch them a wee bit!

I guess it should be fine. It would be a shame to wast all that protien and good shell making material?

Oesdog -
lol.png
Shrimp are like prawns arn;t they?
hmm.png

The first time I fed them shrimp shells I did blend them a bit. They kind of turned to mush. That did not keep the girls from wolfing them down. I think prawns are just bigger shrimp.
smile.png

Congratulations on the new grandchild!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom