Shrimp tails?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chick-george, Oct 28, 2010.

1. chick-george

chick-george Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Lancaster
    What do you think about feeding shrimp tails and shells to the chickens and how would you process them? I have been giving the "shells" and tails to mine. I rinse them after I clean the shrimp. I thought if they could eat raw meat and other leftovers, shrimp leavings might be okay. I usually chop them up for them but they can pull them to pieces pretty easily. I hadn't really thought too much about it, except to worry if they would flavor the eggs. But so far I haven't noticed anything strange.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Chickens aren't quite so much like ducks in which their diet's taste affects their egg taste. I would think it to be perfectly fine. I feed left-over salmon and crab that has been caught around here. (flesh, heads, legs, etc.)

3. chick-george

Apr 10, 2010
    Lancaster
    Thank you, I did not know about the ducks. Do you have to be careful about fish bones?

4. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I am going to feed my girls Prawn shells this week. Though I think I will put them through the blender first to crunch them a wee bit!

I guess it should be fine. It would be a shame to wast all that protien and good shell making material?

Oesdog - [​IMG] Shrimp are like prawns arn;t they? [​IMG]

5. chick-george

Apr 10, 2010
    Lancaster
    The first time I fed them shrimp shells I did blend them a bit. They kind of turned to mush. That did not keep the girls from wolfing them down. I think prawns are just bigger shrimp. [​IMG]
    Congratulations on the new grandchild!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  6. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Oh thanks she is a doll - look!!!!!!
    My own little shrimp!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] - am I the proud granny? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oesdog

7. chick-george

Apr 10, 2010
    Lancaster
    You should be proud. She is gorgeous![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by