Shrimp?!? Who would of thunk!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coffeelady3, Sep 6, 2008.

1. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    The girls got the left overs from last night's sea food dinner. Mainly the shrimpy bits. (tail, legs, outter shell) Man, did they go nuts! I had a serious game of chicken keep away going!

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Hi Dena! When I lived in France we always gave the shrimp shells to the "poulailler" (hen house). They loved the leftovers, which are a good source of calcium.

No eggs yet, I'm guessing??

3. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    we gave our chickens the left over shrimp shells after we picked out shrimp for our frezzer and for the next week their eggs had a funny tast

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Mine aren't laying yet, so I don't have to worry about funny tasting eggs!

5. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    I gave them the tentacle part of squid. They wen't CRAZY - one actually jumped up and snatched it out of my hand.

The eggs were fine.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Nearly lost a finger today handing out blueberries. It felt like a voracious Halloween: "One for you... and one for you... and one for you..."

7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    My chickens know when I have gone fishing. They can't wait for the cleaning to end so they get their treats. The ones that are in the yard all the time are the wrost, they are like a dog when you are skining out a deer. Right under your feet. If I get in a place where I can catch a lot of small sunfish or perch, I do. When I get home I just throw them in the chicken yard and stand back to watch the fun. Never had the eggs taste funny.

8. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Good way to get rid of shrimp shells. I have some in the freezer now from when I fixed shrimp the day after trash pickup. I always stick them in the freezer in the summer so it does not smell up the world. Then I stick in the trash the day before pickup.

I amgoing to pull them out and give them to the gang.

9. Barnrat

Barnrat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I gave mine the vertebrae from canned salmon yesterday; they LOVED it. Also loved the leftover hash from breakfast, but they weren't as interested in the pecan pancakes.

10. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    the eggs did not taste bad just a little fishy but my girls did love the shrimp shells

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by