Shrink Bags?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ColbyNTX, Dec 16, 2010.

1. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I have never used shrink bags because I have never processed more than we plan to eat(DP's) but now I have meaties and will be doing several at a time. Where is a good source for bags and if any of y'all have found one brand better than another or one to stay away from. I need them for chickens and heritage turkeys.

Thanks

2. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    i did not get shrink bags but freezer bags from MMM bc of the size and quality. The bags I ordered fit a broiler @6+ lbs. As for getting the air out... dipped (not submerge ) the filled bag in a tub of water-- all air pockets come out nicely.

3. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I bought mine from Cornerstone. http://www.cornerstone-farm.com/shrink_bags.htm It was the only place I found them.

It's my first time with them and so far all I can say is it went much faster for me than vacuum sealing and they look nice. I bought an assortment but mostly used the 9 x 16. I intended the smaller parts bags for parts, but was so tired I just did all the birds whole and used the parts bags for 1lb combo packs of livers and gizzards.

I used an assortment of things for sealing. Hog rings, zip ties and just knotting. All worked fine. I used my waterbath canner and a potato masher to submerge the birds. It was faster, easier and more complete to puncture the breast and put a sticker (also purchased from Cornerstone) over the hole when done than to puncture by the feet. Might work by the feet better with a deeper pot.

4. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    +1 for Cornerstone

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Also used the cornerstone bags. I'll use them again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by