Shrink Bags?

ColbyNTX

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Woods, TX
I have never used shrink bags because I have never processed more than we plan to eat(DP's) but now I have meaties and will be doing several at a time. Where is a good source for bags and if any of y'all have found one brand better than another or one to stay away from. I need them for chickens and heritage turkeys.

Thanks

i did not get shrink bags but freezer bags from MMM bc of the size and quality. The bags I ordered fit a broiler @6+ lbs. As for getting the air out... dipped (not submerge ) the filled bag in a tub of water-- all air pockets come out nicely.

I bought mine from Cornerstone. http://www.cornerstone-farm.com/shrink_bags.htm It was the only place I found them.

It's my first time with them and so far all I can say is it went much faster for me than vacuum sealing and they look nice. I bought an assortment but mostly used the 9 x 16. I intended the smaller parts bags for parts, but was so tired I just did all the birds whole and used the parts bags for 1lb combo packs of livers and gizzards.

I used an assortment of things for sealing. Hog rings, zip ties and just knotting. All worked fine. I used my waterbath canner and a potato masher to submerge the birds. It was faster, easier and more complete to puncture the breast and put a sticker (also purchased from Cornerstone) over the hole when done than to puncture by the feet. Might work by the feet better with a deeper pot.

Back
Top Bottom