Shrink wrapped? Advice please...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ScissorChick, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    What's the Chances of an egg getting shrink wrapped, and how do I prevent it?

I just opened the incubator, wide open to add water. Check the eggs. And what'dya

know. An egg has a hole in it. This is most likely the only egg out of twelve eggs

that has a chance. What do I do? How do I know if it's shrink wrapped? What do

I do if it IS shrink wrapped? The bad part is that the hole is on the side of the egg

that is laying on the grate. So I can't just 'check' it anytime I want. I'll have to actually

pick it up and look. It's RIGHT above the water trough in the incubator, and with the

hole being on the side facing downwards, it should keep it moist enough, right?

I can here the little guy chirping away...thanks

(By the way, sorry for posting so many times in this section, lately..)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

I would just watch it... start the clock so to speak.. I wouldn't leave it with the hole down, because you need to keep an eye on it. Yes chicks can become shrink wrapped with in Seconds of opening up a bator. If the chickie hasn't hatched by lets say 12 hours from now, you will more than likely have to help it out.

Just keep an eye on it, you should hear it peeping.

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    thanks. I will go turn the egg with the hole upwards, I guess...Do

you think I should dab it with water when I turn it?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by