Shrink Wrapped/Assisted Hatch

DeAnnaRaye

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2021
I had 14 of my 19 chicken eggs hatch. #15 had pipped and I didnt realize it and took all the other chicks out to the brooder. I only realized it when I heard chirping. I increased the humidity and hoped for the best. After several hours I noticed the membrane was turning brown and dried out. So I assisted by slowly removing shell. I was able to get all the shell off without messing up the membrane. And I slowly peeled away about half of the outer white membrane leaving just the inner membrane. The veins were pretty well absorbed as well as the yolk. And put it back in the incubator with high humidity.
I did not expect it to make it thru the night... but it did! This morning its chirping and flopping all over the incubator. I know it had a rough start and the glue like stuff will be fine. But there is a dried up mess attached to it still. The left over membrane and all.
Do I tie it off with a string? Can I cut if off? HELP. it seems to be making it hard for it to get balance and stand up right.

Attachments

• 20210322_074549.jpg
    20210322_074549.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210322_074516.jpg
    20210322_074516.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 51
I guess I'd tie it off with a string and then cut it off. Like they do with human babies. I'd also put some Vetericyn or Neosporin on it as well. I hope things work out for it.

So just an update... I did tie off the dry mess and cut it. The baby seemed fine with that and no blood at all. But the little guy has been "hatched" for 24 hours now and still not able to get up and walk. I put it in a cup for about 10-15 mins tonight to try and strengthen its legs, they are not crooked or anything. And I did use a dropper to give it some water with electrolytes. The poor thing will not stand. He did poop while in the cup thou.

Back
Top Bottom