Shrink Wrapped Chick - Not sure if shes okay

Derpychick

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2015
My family and I have a broody hen, so we don't use an incubator for hatching chicks. One of the chicks started to hatch almost three days ago but only her beak was poked out. she would peep but couldn't hatch herself anymore. so today (not quite the third day) we took her inside because we thought she might be shrink wrapped. she wasn't even peeping anymore. We started picking away her shell, and she was shrink wrapped. We unhatched her for her and got most of the stuff off, besides for in her wings and back. its really stuck on there, and we don't want to hurt her. shes peeping every once and a while and breathing very fast. her stomach and sides are moving pretty rapidly. she hasn't opened her eyes yet but is peeping more often now. we put her on a soft pillowcase with a heat light. we have two thermometers and they both are changing from 95-110. we are trying to keep it at 95 by moving the light. recently, she has started shaking her right leg very violently. she looks very unwell and we don't know what to do. she hasn't improved at all, she can't movie around on her own. shes just laying down, shaking her leg and breathing hard, loudly peeping every once in a while. what should we do? whats wrong with her? could she be hungry maybe, because its been a while since she first started hatching... please help!

Also! i forgot to mention: she is still attached to the egg by her umbilical cord.we haven't messed with it

Personally I'd give her back to the hen with the egg part the cord is attached to, too. Sometimes they just need time and the gentle noises of encouragement from their mothers. I'm not very experienced but I've had a lot of broody hens, I don't intervene much. Sorry if this is not all that helpful

Personally I'd give her back to the hen with the egg part the cord is attached to, too. Sometimes they just need time and the gentle noises of encouragement from their mothers. I'm not very experienced but I've had a lot of broody hens, I don't intervene much. Sorry if this is not all that helpful
Thank you for the help! I don't know if my broody hen would take good care of her. she has four other chicks, all around three or four days old and she is antsy to leave the coop. she hasn't been doing as good with the remainder of eggs. she is only a year old and isn't that experienced. Would putting the chick under her help with the shaking? both feet and her wing is shaking now too. she slightly trembling everywhere. her cheeping is panicked sounding

Just let the chick work it out. Some chicks take a while to hatch, especially if they are the first ones. Try and keep the membrane wrapping the chicken somewhat moist, since if it is dry it can make it even harder for it to get out.

Just let the chick work it out. Some chicks take a while to hatch, especially if they are the first ones. Try and keep the membrane wrapping the chicken somewhat moist, since if it is dry it can make it even harder for it to get out.
thank you! the chicken is already out of the egg, she has been for a while. she is just attached to a part of the egg by the umbilical cord. she is peeping a lot and has been trying to walk around. but her neck seems really week and she cant walk on her legs. I think that there is something wrong with her neck and legs - maybe they were held in the same position while being shrink wrapped for too long?

I just did some more research and I think that she is actually a "sticky chick" not a shrink wrapped chick

Is the yoke fully absorbed? Do you have any save a chick? She may need vitamins.
Also I need to check what to do, but dragging the shell is not good. Have you seen the notes section on Sally Sunshine's incubating with friends thread? The first page has a ton on information. Also ask there. :fl

Back
Top Bottom