Shrink wrapped chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lorrie77, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Lorrie77

Lorrie77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Not sure why this baby is shrink wrapped but I have 2 eggs and the first pipped at 2 p.m.
    After watching this baby struggle for almost 7 hours without any progress, I knew something was wrong [​IMG]
    The second egg has not pipped yet, however lots of chirping and wiggling going on [​IMG]
    This will be my second assisted hatch and the first one went very well if I do say so myself [​IMG]
    Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I hope you are as successful with this chick as you were with the last one. I can only say go slowly and keep the humidity up the best you can. So here are wishes that all goes well. [​IMG]

3. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    what is ur humidity?

you may need to raise it

4. Lorrie77

Sep 26, 2011
    Thanks I am hoping for the best [​IMG]

5. Lorrie77

Sep 26, 2011
    Humidity is 70%

6. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    you can increase to 75 or 80% if your chicks keep wraping

7. Lorrie77

Sep 26, 2011
    Thanks I think I will try increasing the humidity, getting kinda stressful doing c-sections on chicken eggs [​IMG]

8. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
  9. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

it's probably NOT your humidity that is at issue (70% is still in the "safe" zone).. you said he pipped 7 hours ago?.. if that's the case sounds like a weak chick who made too large of a pip.. if your incubator is forced air it makes matters worse since the fan will cause a large pip to dry out too quickly (unfortunately there isn't much you can do if you have no way to turn the fan off)

even if it's not a forced air incubator.. a pip with a struggling chick that makes no progress still means too much air got in and dried out the membrane (and I have seen that happen with 90% humidity which is why I say it's probably NOT your humidity)

hopefully he's just an oddball in this hatch and opening the bator to help him didn't affect the rest of the eggs by having the humidity drop TOO low

10. Lorrie77

Sep 26, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the good luck and advise.
    I am happy to say I got the chick removed from half the egg, (shell, inner and outer membrane)
    and then let him rest about an hour and he then he decided to do the rest [​IMG]
    This morning I moved him in with the other baby chicks and he is doing great [​IMG]
    I am hoping this was just a fluke and the other egg will be fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by