Shrink wrapped duckling help!?

charrwebb

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2023
Hello,

I had a shrink wrapped duckling that was stuck, so i got some of the shell off and she pushed her head and top half out but now her bottom half is in the shell still and shes not moving an awful lot, she is still breathing, what shall i do?

here she is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 7
She may be taking a quick breather. Is there any blood on the membrane?

there was but it seems to have all gone brown now, her egg was really small to the others, she is moving and breathing, ive left her in the incubator with the paper towel over the egg shall i just leave her be?

I would remove the paper towel of the egg. Some coconut oil smeared around the remaining membrane will help keep it moist. She should kick out of her egg within the next few hours, so keep us updated!

okay thankyou, she looks very small and her eyes arent open yet
I haven't hatched ducks before, but I did have a quail egg that was considerably smaller than the rest. She took a while (and a lot of help) to hatch! Just keep a close eye on her, and don't be shy to post any questions! I'll tag a few people that may be able to help as well :)

@New duck mommy 2021

I haven't hatched ducks before, but I did have a quail egg that was considerably smaller than the rest. She took a while (and a lot of help) to hatch! Just keep a close eye on her, and don't be shy to post any questions! I'll tag a few people that may be able to help as well :)

@New duck mommy 2021

Now why did that go bold?🤨

thankyou! youre all so helpful! she is really trying to kick this shell off but it looks like she may still be a bit attached im not sure, should i leave her in the incubator or move her to the brooder box after shes kicked it off? her sister was stuck and i had to help her too yesterday and she did alot better under the heat lamp she fluffed up and perked up within an hour!

thankyou! youre all so helpful! she is really trying to kick this shell off but it looks like she may still be a bit attached im not sure, should i leave her in the incubator or move her to the brooder box after shes kicked it off? her sister was stuck and i had to help her too yesterday and she did alot better under the heat lamp she fluffed up and perked up within an hour!
Leave her until she's fully hatched and a least a bit dry/fluffy. Since she's small, she'll probably need a little more tlc than the others!

Back
Top Bottom