Shrink Wrapped Duckling - Please Help!

sylvaniaduckmom

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2021
My mama Cayuga was sitting on 5 eggs, but ended up killing 4 in their last days. I took the last viable egg inside in hopes to keep it alive. I don’t have an incubator, so I’ve been keeping it in a make shift brooder with a heat lamp at 100°. The duckling externally pipped 24 hours ago and wasn’t making any process. I chipped away at the shell where it was safe and found that it is shrink wrapped (and I think that’s what is causing it to not be able to hatch). This is currently what the duckling looks like. Should I try to cut the shrink wrapping? It looks like it’s bleeding under the membrane, which I know is a bad sign. But the duckling seems to be struggling and trying to get out. I put petroleum jelly on the membrane to keep it dry. It’s been peeping for at least 48 hours now.

Attachments

• BD00E649-D249-44B7-BA5F-C24948CF1D76.jpeg
    BD00E649-D249-44B7-BA5F-C24948CF1D76.jpeg
    720.4 KB · Views: 91
Have you read through this article about hatching assistance.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

I haven't hatched, but maybe this can help you since there are not a lot of people online right now.

@shawluvsbirds and @WVduckchick may be able to help you.
I appreciate your help! I feel like I’ve read endless articles involving shrink wrapping / hatching assistance and I’m having a hard time finding an exact solution to my situation. The duckling is still breathing and showing movement at the moment and it’s been about an hour since I peeled back the shell (shown in the photo).

I appreciate your help! I feel like I’ve read endless articles involving shrink wrapping / hatching assistance and I’m having a hard time finding an exact solution to my situation. The duckling is still breathing and showing movement at the moment and it’s been about an hour since I peeled back the shell (shown in the photo).
I wish I could help more.

Hopefully one of these people will be able to help you.
@cheezenkwackers @HollowOfWisps

Quick update! The duckling made it through the night. Still peeping and moving. However, no progress has been made on getting out of the shell/membrane. Any advice on what to do now would be very helpful.

Attachments

• 4141B920-1F8D-4CFF-A99A-4B641FC0C03B.jpeg
    4141B920-1F8D-4CFF-A99A-4B641FC0C03B.jpeg
    557.3 KB · Views: 48
Sorry your momma duck didn’t do well on her own. :(
That egg doesn’t look shrink wrapped to me, it looks pretty normal. I think it just needs a little more time. You can probably carefully peel off the exposed membrane, and let it push out on its own. Just be careful of any bleeding. Keep it moist, work it slowly.

Sorry your momma duck didn’t do well on her own. :(
That egg doesn’t look shrink wrapped to me, it looks pretty normal. I think it just needs a little more time. You can probably carefully peel off the exposed membrane, and let it push out on its own. Just be careful of any bleeding. Keep it moist, work it slowly.
Thank you so much for your reply! I think it doesn’t look shrink wrapped in the pic because I put petroleum jelly on the membrane (to keep it moist) so it looks invisible. It’s wrapped around the duckling pretty tight. Is that normal?

Thank you so much for your reply! I think it doesn’t look shrink wrapped in the pic because I put petroleum jelly on the membrane (to keep it moist) so it looks invisible. It’s wrapped around the duckling pretty tight. Is that normal?
It looks normal to me also but it's pretty hard to tell with that red cast from the light you have on there.
It is normal for the membrane to turn clear once you put the petroleum jelly on, and that should enable you to see if there are any active things in the membrane there.
By active veins I mean things that are plump and full of blood still.
What's the blood has been absorbed they recede and look more like little spider veins, just a little red or brownish line. Those are safe to cut through.
Since you've already removed that much shell I would proceed with an assist. Follow the instructions from that article that was posted. Just slowly peel back that membrane a little at a time where it's safe to do so and wait. It should be able to push out on its own when ready.
Sometimes the membrane can get a little dryid on to the duckling and make it get stuck. I suspect that could be what's going on here.

Wait until the veins fully recede. When you go to remove the membrane apply more jelly to make it easier and slowly peel off only the exposed membrane that has no shell. Since your duckling is in a brooder there is no humidity control and there is a good chance that the membrane is going to dry on like glue making it difficult for the duckling to get out on its own even with the jelly on there.

It looks normal to me also but it's pretty hard to tell with that red cast from the light you have on there.
It is normal for the membrane to turn clear once you put the petroleum jelly on, and that should enable you to see if there are any active things in the membrane there.
By active veins I mean things that are plump and full of blood still.
What's the blood has been absorbed they recede and look more like little spider veins, just a little red or brownish line. Those are safe to cut through.
Since you've already removed that much shell I would proceed with an assist. Follow the instructions from that article that was posted. Just slowly peel back that membrane a little at a time where it's safe to do so and wait. It should be able to push out on its own when ready.
Sometimes the membrane can get a little dryid on to the duckling and make it get stuck. I suspect that could be what's going on here.
Thank you so much for your advice! It’s very helpful. I wish there was a clear cut answer, but I guess with assisted hatching there usually isn’t. We’re going to continue to slowly assist and will keep the thread updated.

Back
Top Bottom